Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need to replace speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace speedo?

I bought my 2000 sportsman 500 used and the speedo is broken. I was wondering how hard it would be to replace it myself and where i could get the speedo at.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

The speedo is about the easiest thing to change on your bike. Unfortunantly, it's not the cheapest...

You might get lucky and find a used one on eBay, otherwise you'll have to get a new one from your dealer.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Buy a used one on ebay, unless someone in forums has one for you.
Ken

Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

have u checked the cable. My 500 doesnt work and it is the cable not the actual speedo

Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do i tell whether it is the speedo or the cable? sorry im new to this. Also, do i have to stick to the same speedo i have right now or can i go with a newer year speedo?

Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

dont know about the newer speedo thing but i know that somehow the cable spins. My dad was showing me a couple years ago but ours is frozen. if ur cable doesnt spin then that is probaly what it is. Sry i know that probaly isnt the answer you were looking for mabey someone can help more on the cable

Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

is there any internet site that i would be able to order the parts from? It looks like its about 250 to buy a speedo from the dealer.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Is there a cable coming into the back side of the speedo. (can't miss it its a 5/16 or 3/8" diameter stiff round cable with a a thumb nut holding it on to the speedo. Just unscrew it and look at the square shaft inside to see if it turns when you drive. Or stick a pencil or something into the back of the speedo and spin it to see if the needle moves.

The 96 used to freeze the cable in the winter and twist off the a short cable coming from the trans into the 90 degree adapter. About a $2 part. pita to change though. Pulled the long cable out of the sleeve between the speedo and the 90 degree adapter, grease with lithium grease and no trouble for years now.

My 05 is electric, just small electric wires out the back.
Ken

Old 01-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

does your hourmeter still light up, and does the speedo light up? Or is just the needle not moving but everything lights up? If nothing lights up, a few basic test could be done to check for power input, and if it does light up, most likely just your sensor on the right front wheel that you will need to replace. Also, if the speedo don't light up, your 4wd will not work, I can tell you how to bypass the speedo so your 4wd does work...

Old 02-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do tell!!! I have a 2001 500 with similar problems as stated above. The speedo needle does not move, it does not light up and the 4WD does not work. Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: need to replace speedo?