Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Originally posted by: Jayblazer
the black and silver is the one my dealer has but i think its going to the wife...i really wish i could get the red in a 4x4 but the dealer said no way on a swap...
RED is only avail in the 2-wheel drive model. it's to bad! i like the red but would not consider 2wd.
~MT

Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye reviews?

I just added a couple of photos to my photo page of my black/silver Hawk. I had the choice at the delaer of the green or black, i didn't like the green too much but I am kinda partial to black machines.

In the pictures the person on the Hawk is my 13 year old son to give you an idea of scale.

I am not sure how long it takes to get new photos approved so check back in a while if you can't see the new pics.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Originally posted by: Jayblazer
wow mt im surprised you would still consider a polaris.. not that i wouldent i cant help it i have went and looked at other machines and i still come back to polaris. actually i am negotiating with my dealer now about the hawkeye for the wife. we bought her a sportsman 400 in july but she dident like it because it was to big for her. the dealer let me ride one and i was impressed with its power feels about as fast as a TB 250 with a lot more pull from down low....

i wouldn't buy another 500EFI![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i would have to be insane to buy another 500EFI. (the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.) LOL!

~MT

Old 01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye reviews?

THe Hawkeye was my first ride on an IRS machine. I like it better for trail riding than the Suzuki Eiger 4X4 we bought last year. I have the red, 4X2 machine and it's the one to grab at my house. My 11 year daughter - hey, she' mature for her age not to mention 5' 2" 109 pounds, rides the heck at of it! I never let the kids ride unless I or my wife are with them. Comparing the Hawkeye to the Eiger, I'd say Polaris builds an equal to if not better quad. Only thing I may do is add a little more agressive tires, but I'm in no rush.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 AM
Range Rover
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Here is a link to a pretty good one. http://www.polarisriders.com/index.c...ist=-24&page=1

Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Ok guys, I got the 4x4 Hawkeye today. Here is my condensed 7 mile ride review. First off, I am not a fan of automatics, or single lever braking. I do not have any other autos to compare it to. My other quad is a Suzuki Z250. I traded a streetbike for this quad to try to lengthen my lifespan and give me a spare, 4WD, and the wife a ride. I definetly prefer a manual transmission. I just don't like the gradual power delivery and vibrations transmitted with the cvt transmissions, plus I like to do small wheelies and power slides around corners so I am a little out of place on this bike. That being said, this is not a bad quad. I never had a lack of power, I climbed one short, but very muddy hill climb at a slow pace in AWD just to see how the low end power was. I never came close to stalling and when I accelerated the power was there in reserve. My tires were very packed with AL clay so traction was an issue but I easily made it to the top. Impressed! Next, I got stuck on purpose with the front tires against a log, let off throttle, engaged AWD and climbed right over. Impressed! I did some slow rock crawling, again good low end power. Now for the mudding, I rode the ruts through several mud holes, dragging the frame, once again due to the AWD, never a doubt, pulled right through. As I am in the break-in period I never topped it out on the road, just ran it up to 30 mph a few times. I love the instrument display and the info available and the gas gauge. The ride (suspension) is smoother than the Z250. The mud/splash protection is excellent. I would prefer standard metal racks so any variety of mounts would work rather than having to buy Polaris brand accessories to fit the composite racks. In summary, if I get used to the cvt power delivery (or lack of) I think the Hawkeye may just earn it's spot in the garage. In the next couple of weeks, I hope to do a lot more trail riding with this machine and will then give another report.

Powerslider, if you read this, I have PM'ed you about your mod.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Range Rover
Default Hawkeye reviews?

I like mine for what little time I have ridding it. You are not locked into Polaris accesories on your racks. One thing I like much better about the ones on the Hawkeye over my Sportsman is the small metal tubes the installed on the edges of the rack. You can easily mount just about anything you want on it. My Sporstsman does not have the silver tubes, and makes it much harder to mount anything. One nip pick I have is it should have came stock with rack extensions. I think it is a rip off to have to buy the Polaris ones at $60.00 to $80.00 a pop.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hawkeye reviews?

I agree they should come with at least the rear rack extension but I have to say looking around at other machines in this price range the Hawkeye is a good value for what it does have. Long travel suspension and IRS is not found on many/any machines of this size...

Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Don’t take this the wrong way but im really surprised that someone who rides a Z250 thinks that the hawkeye is down on power..while the 250 is a manual the belt system is better at power delivery. Also the Z250 is basically a utility quad with sport plastic. If it were me I would give the wife the Z and I would ride the Hawk...lol...

Old 01-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hawkeye reviews?

Jayblazer, I'm not taking it wrong. lol. Heck they are both girl quads anyway. If I can ever get the hawk to wheelie (just kidding) and can jump it I'll start liking it better. I'll have a feeling I'll start liking it anyway. I did almost get the Ozark instead, but I wanted the AWD option and also wanted a quad that my wife, father, father-in-law, friends could get on and ride with little experience and not worry with shifting. I picked some clearance items at Walmart today for it, some camo briar mits and a 7 pocket camo gas tank saddle bag. They both fit great and look good.