Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's a good year

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 05:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if a 1998 or 1999 polaris would be any good. I know that alot of the Polaris' had quite a few problems in them. A-arms, belts, and whatnots. I wanted a Kodiak but might have to get a polaris and was wondering if these are any good. I'm looking at the magnum and explorers. I'm not trying to start a flame war so go easy on me.

Thanks
Burrlok

Old 11-07-2000, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

If it was my choice, and I was looking for a belt driven automatic I would have to go with the Kodiak.

But, you're in the Polaris forum, so you'll get the usual buy Polaris. Just as you would if you were comparing Honda and Kawasaki whichever forum you ask the question that's the response you'll get.

Ride both and you decide.

Old 11-07-2000, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Burrlok

I don't know anything about the older Kodiak's, so I can't comment on them. I own a 98 Polaris Magnum and its been a tough machine. The only problem I have had with it is the brakes when out pretty fast. Replaced them with better brakes and haven't had a problem since. If your willing to drive the hour west to the Maumee state forest riding area, I will let you ride it and you can decide for yourself. Opinions only go so far. An actual ride will not lie

Old 11-07-2000, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

If your looking to get an xplorer and you have a choice, go with a 99 or newer. There were several small but rather important changes made in 99 including concentric drive and front shaft.

PS. I'm assuming your talking about a 400 2-stroke,in 99 polaris also made a 500 4-stroke xplorer which was the same as a sportsman minus the headlight pod.

Old 11-07-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I agree with Snowride. I have a 99 Xplorer and they definately are improved over the 98 models. Some of the obvious are: Concentric drive, shaft front wheel drive (replaces 2 chains), heavier rear swingarm, plus the ones I have seen have had a quieter auto tranny. I don't know if they actually quieted them down, or it is just a quirk, but my 99 Xplorer has less transmission whine than a 98 Xplorer, my brother's 97 Xpress, and a friends 95 Magnum (which doesn't whine, it howls. Also, the 99s and newer have a better method of carb mounting which my dealer told me will help it go longer before getting shook 'loose' and prevent the boot from tearing. From what I understand, the vibration from the 2 cycle motor will eventually rattle the carb enough to where the needle will be loose enough to cause it to run rich. Easy to fix, but why fix if you can avoid it? As far as I know the Magnum is the same.

Old 11-07-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Farmer123
You forgot to mention the much better scrambler air box and the water-tite electrical connections all around.

Old 11-07-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, you are right. Also the 99 Xplorer has the new-style speedometer with hourmeter, as well as an improved 4-wd engagement switch.
Wow! Until I really started thinking about it, I forgot just how many 'little' improvments there are, and what it amounts to when they are all added up!

Old 11-07-2000, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

How about the stronger sealed tie rods and the new style starter switch (the old type was the same as the override. I don,t know how many times I pushed the override button when wanting to start the bike and visa-versa on my 95.)

My latest ride 99 400 4x4 xplorer. I have bypassed the overide and rev-limiter and rewired the overide so that it is now my horn button. Using a p-touch label maker with a black background and white lettering,stick it over the overide button and you would swear it was factory. I had also done this to my previous bikes 94 xplorer and 94 sportsman.

Old 11-07-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Opps, typo on my previous rides. Should have been 96 Xplorer.

Old 11-07-2000, 11:48 AM
BK
Pro Rider

Where is the Maumee riding area? Is it very big?

Quick Reply: What's a good year