Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP800 muffler rubbing on fender bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006 | 12:01 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default SP800 muffler rubbing on fender bracket.

Have any 800 owners ever noticed if their left side muffler was rubbing on the fender/rack support bracket?
Also the same muffler almost rubs on the torsion bar as well.
Every now and then when i would have my 800 articulated in a certain way i would get a strange viberating/rattleing noise like something was touching up againt the vibration of the motor.I started looking around and i noticed how the muffler was up against the fender support bracket. Looks like it would wear a hole in no time.
I have pictures posted. They were taken while the quad was parked on level ground.

Old 02-03-2006 | 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't noticed this problem, but I will check tomorrow and get back with you. Mine is an '05. Is there any differences in how the exhaust is mounted?

Old 02-03-2006 | 12:34 AM
|
Pro Rider

Im not sure if theres a differance in the mounting or not.

Old 02-03-2006 | 05:56 PM
|
Pro Rider

bump

Old 02-03-2006 | 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

JjEjFjf, My 800 left side muffler looks to be rubbing on the torsion bar, as for the fender bracket no. The noise you are hearing like the vibration noise, I have that also it is like when the quad wants to twist you know like say you are in a ditch or something and are going to turn and go up and out you hear is, I found where is is coming from take the right side cover off on the header pipe side, What you are hearing is the lower header pipe hitting the engine right above where the starter goes in I took a emery board and sanded a bit down for more clearance and also got some High temp fiberglass- silicone tubing and made a small square out of it and made a pad for the pipe between the header and the engine that shut it up. hope this helps Doug

Old 02-03-2006 | 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

JjEjFjf,

I could find where my left muffler has rubbed on the T-bar, mine does appear to sit just a little higher than yours. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch. I could not see if it was contacting the fender bracket (got home after dark). I share your concern about it rubbing through, my exhaust already has a light coat of rust on the outside. It will probably scrub right off of there, but it will weaken eventually. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Redcruiser,

When I can look at it in the daylight, I will check the header clearance too. I will keep your fix in mind. Thanks. Rick.

Old 02-03-2006 | 10:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

Doug,
Thanks for letting me know where that noise was actually coming from.Ill check it out tomarrow earlier in the day.What i cant figure out is why the frame flexs enableing it to happen. I thought i was feeling some kind of flexing in the foot wells.I guess i wasnt imagineing it.
Thanks again for all the info.

Rick,
Thanks for checking that out and letting me know. Ill be waiting to hear from you about the bracket rubbing and your header clearance. I will also keep you post on my header clearance.

Jeff

Old 02-05-2006 | 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

JjEjFjf,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, I have been working late and haven't had the chance to check until tonight. My left muffler does make contact with the rack bracket and I could not find any signs of the lower header making contact with the engine anywhere. You all have given me a couple of new spots to keep an eye on. Thanks guys.

Old 02-06-2006 | 09:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

I also checked to see if the header was rubbing on the motor and its not.There seems to be plenty of room 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch between the motor and the header where Redcruiser500AC had described.I did however notice that the larger of the heat shields was touching on the header .That might be where im hearing the vibrating. I havent been out rideing in the past few days so i havent had a chance to confirm it.
I will be going up to my local dealer in the next few days and i will let him know about the muffler rubbing so he can make note of it so if it eventually rubs through , even after the warranty runs out ,maybe ill still be covered.
Thanks for all the help.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

JjEjFjf, Sorry I forgot to mention it will not betouching when idle or reving the engine it will only make the vibration noise under load on a turn or sudden take off. Because it is touching when the engine has torq applied to it and the engine is twisting on the rubber engine mounts and the exaust header is not. Next time you are out riding. Ride with the side engine cover off and turn onto a hill or something you will be suprised at how much the engine will twist or pull forward, Sorry I should have mentioned that anywho hope the dealer takes care of you and ride on. Doug

Quick Reply: SP800 muffler rubbing on fender bracket.