Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stereo install for Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo install for Ranger

I have purchased a Polaris Ranger 6x6 and looking to install a Stereo in the dash. I have run into some problems and before I start cutting on the dash, I was looking for some assistance. Has anyone installed a radio and or stereo in their Ranger? Were do I start? Were do you install the speakers? Any help or plans out there would be greatly helpful
Thanks
Mike

Old 02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

might be a good idea to upgrade your alternator to the biggest you can and install another battery, especially of you are gonna install an amp with your stereo. back when I destroyed my hearing that's the first thing we did to our cars before installing a system.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Just a suggestion. If you dont want to cut into the dash. You could look into a under dash mounting system. Check out some stereo shops in your area for some ideas. Crutchfield has some marine covers to keep the cd player dry. If you cant find a under dash mount system you could fab one out of oak or pine and a few strips if 1x1 and seal it up with varnish on the outside and silicone to make it waterproof/dustproof and use a maring cover to seal up the front. Then mount the box under the dash with some boltys with self locking nuts..

It may look hokey but it would work and keep the cd dry. Stain the oak before you seal it with varnish to give it a better look. Also think about geting a removeable face to prevent theft.

ALSO. Hehe.. I used to dabble in stereo installs in the early 90's (Long live the Fosgate punch 75!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Think about looking on ebay for a Pioneer removeable system. The deck slides totally out when not in use. KEeping it save and out of the elements.

I know it would kill me to cut into the dash of any car that wasnt a junker. I dont like to cut stuff up thats just me.. Its just a thought thou..

Also check out crutchfield they may have some speaker mounting boxes also.

Like Zerowick said you may have to upgrade the alt if you plan to add a amp. With the cd and speakers I would think that the atv could handle it.

You ever think of trying XM radio? It may be a nice setup. IF the am/fm couldnt reach in the area your at XM probally could. You can get a Xm pretty cheap and the plans are not priced too bad. Mabye look at getting a portable system. I have a Roady XT and you can switch the head unit from home to car. OR in your case Ranger to car. You may have to buy another mounting pod but I am sure they wouldnt be too spendy.

Sorry dont mean to rattle on. Just throwing some ideas at you.

Good luck

Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zerowick
might be a good idea to upgrade your alternator to the biggest you can and install another battery, especially of you are gonna install an amp with your stereo. back when I destroyed my hearing that's the first thing we did to our cars before installing a system.
I remember those high amp alternator and larger power cable days too zero!!! It's ironic I guess but I still love/listen to Def (deaf) Leppard!!! Hey M1eubanks, You might want to consider some type of removeable mounting system so you could get your receiver out of the elements or prevent it from being stolen. Might be easier than modifying the dash also.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I remember those high amp alternator and larger power cable days too zero!!! It's ironic I guess but I still love/listen to Def (deaf) Leppard!!!

what did you say??? I'm still hangin' on with a Poineer Premire cd/mp3, 200 w amp for 10" sub in home made box, (hokey), rear tweeters to replace stock junk, and stock fronts that are "premium" junk woof/tweeter that are ok for now. every time I get a new vehicle I think I'm done with good sounds but after a few months I can't stand it! nice nowadays with all the plug in pieces to make the install easier, only hard part is getting through firewall, man, no gaping holes like the old days to run the big cable, they really seal 'em up now!

Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Amen to that Zerowick!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Huh, what, Oh yeah, sounds(?) like a good system system there zero. Always been a little partial to Pioneer myself.