Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Towing tooowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing tooowing

Hi!

Why do the X2 have the same towing rating as the 500 and 450's? I mean, it is more heavy than the 700 and the 800's?

The heavier the machine is, the heavier it can tow, right? Or do polaris just make up these numbers?

For towing high loads near the limit. Doesn't it matter if you have a 450 or 800? The low end tork of the sportsmen will put the load on move? or am i wrong?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

A lot of factors come into play (chassis, suspension, weight, tires etc.) but i would think the big bores could tow more but traction is also an issue.

They can all tow more than the rated capasities thats just to be safe.

Jim

Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

Polaris just has to put those towing capacities on their machines to keep them out of legal trouble. Some guy that's pulling a 4k lb trailer and crashes going down a hill would try to sue Polaris with out these towing capacities.

I'm sure the X2 could tow more than a SP450. Keep it in low range and you could pull a truck out of the ditch if you had traction. You'll find that traction is the limiting factor when towing heavy loads.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

I know from experience that the tow ratings are quite conservative. on flat land the sky's the limit, it's the hills ya gotta worry about, low gear is a must along with slow controlled speeds.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing tooowing

I believe it has to do with the fact that the hitch is part of the sprung weight on a independent suspension chassis. Has nothing to do with horsepower or engine displacement.

Usually a straight axle machine will have a higher tow rating because the weight is transferred directly to the ground through the axle housing and tires rather then through the A arms shocks and springs and then the tires.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

Usually a straight axle machine will have a higher tow rating because the weight is transferred directly to the ground through the axle housing and tires rather then through the A arms shocks and springs and then the tires.

not in this case, I believe the IRS Sportsman has the highest rating of any SRA out there, might even be the highest in the business. big Bomb is 1,300, Polaris is 1,500.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing tooowing

Zerowick......... your right about the rating ........most of the solid axle sport quads don't have axle housings and since the is no outside support the axles will flex under load.

some other machines have housings that support the axles at the wheel hubs and have high ratings.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

I am impressed with how much the Polaris can haul, I only have my springs on the middle setting and it's plenty for heavy tongue weight and my 200+ carcas!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

I was very impressed with my 02 SP 500ho. I can move my 17 foot inboard boat around the yard pretty good. I know its hard on the brakes at times but that may be the way Polaris rates the towing limits.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing tooowing

I dont recemend it but i pulled a 4500 lb truck up a slight grade on a gravel road in LOW and got up to about 18 mph GPS.
My freind did the same with his 500 ho but slower to speed and only 16-17 mph.

Traction was the issue and i dont think it hurt the quad at all because the wheels will loose traction way befor any damage could be done.

I wouldnt do this on pavement, altough the wheels would eventially spin there too.

Jim

Quick Reply: Towing tooowing