Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

please help me decide! Banshee or Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default inplease help me decide!!!

i cant make up my mind if i want a Banshee or a Predator...Im in love with 2strokes and i think they much easier to maintain. The banshees the only yamaha i like but i love polars and the predator. WILL SOMEONE explain hte difference in power of these two machines. i do alot fo rocky trailriding and ahve to drive thru mud and water now and then...i also do a lot of straigh flat full speed trails. i cant decide which one will be better for me. PLEASE help!

and i didnt post htis in yamaha cuz i know it will not get answered

Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me decide! Banshee or Predator?

Looks like you are getting some good responses in the "Sports Quad" section.

I'll flat out tell ya, Banshee's don't like rocky trails. Got to keep them in the powerband and that can be tough to do if you aren't used to it on tight trails. Predator runs really good on the wide open stuff too.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The predator is very good for trails. Mainly, because you can lug around a 4 stroke, and also, for some odd reason, the pred motor likes to get up and go. It loves the grab those gears and really pull up the rpms. The suspension and turning on the pred are top notch, and the shee are 15yrs outdated. On a shee, you must be in the powerband to feel that power....you can't just lug them around...you need to keep the rpm's up. Also, the pred comes with a lot more from the factory......

Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

If you like the Pred, and you'll be on a lot of rocky trails, why not check out the Outlaw...it sounds perfect for you.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode a Banshee for about 8yrs. I loved the power but it was to snappy for rocks and tight trails. It was not good at all in the mud either. I would get beat up on rocky trails with the banshee. There is nothing better for flat out haulin a$$ or climbing hills but for trail riding, rocks, or mud it sucks. Sounds like you need the Outlaw!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a big Yamaha fan I love the Banshee. The problem is, in its stock form its a remake of the same quad since 1987/88. The stock suspension of the Banshee shows its age very quick in the woods or on rocks. A Banshee will have to be built to your riding style. Just like how you can get high profile cams in a 4 stroke, the Banshee motor can be setup to give low end or top end power. The problem is, its hard to get both at the same time. A stock 4 stroke can do a bunch of everything right out of the box. A tuned 2 stroke can only do what it is setup for. A good rider can make anything work but, it takes a lot of practice. I always joke around with people before they race a setup Banshee.. I tell the 4 stroke guy to just add a single turn to the race and he will win. For people who drive in the woods and mud, I think of the Banshee as a 2nd quad. You take it out there when you are feeling the need for speed then put it away before you drive right off the trail. You can never go wrong with a good 4stroke quad. 400EX, Predator, Z400., Raptors... all perfect.. I'm a hardcore Yamaha and Banshee fan but, I would take a good/modern 4 stroke in the woods anyday. I would pickup a nice Predator first and keep an eye out for a cheap Banshee.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

im not buying new...so unless some one wants to give me an outlaw ill take it. im prob gonna end up gettin a 04 or 03 predator. i got a super deal on a 04 dale earnheart pred for $2800 but i dont ahve the room and i needa sell mine firs tto ge the cash!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is a smokin' good deal. And, even better, an 04....as you probably know the 03's had a few troubles.....or some of them did.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

still havin trouble thinkni which one i want...someone mentioned the suspensions harsh...that can eb fixied wit a used pair of yfz shocks

Old 03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i dont think its just the shocks, i think the Aarm layout and the swing arm have alot to do with it. not to mention the swingarm on the banshee is considerably longer than the YFZ's so the shock will have ot be set up differently, and i donno if the settings on the shock can support it.

i would go for an outlaw aswell

Quick Reply: please help me decide! Banshee or Predator?