Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

broken predator -more of my bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken predator -more of my bad luck

As some of you know,my 04 predator is down again.This time it was for the transmission,I lost 3rd gear.I brang the junker to my engine builder at ATLANTIC POLARIS.Jayson started taking the motor out,when he found another problem!! THE FRAME IS BROKE AGAIN!!! this time it is at the front motor mount(bottom of frame under oil tank). a year ago I had a RATH RACING gusset kit installed and the frame was powder coated.None of the gussets failed but the frame still broke.These pred frames suck. Very weak metal!! Anyway, I know I'm a hard rider but I don't abuse the quad at all. As a matter of fact after the last engine mod and new frame I took it easier on it . Jen Rath said I have a Black cloud that follows me around,,I think she is very right!! I just can not get a break with this pred. I may have to drop polaris and get a honda but, I don't think anything would change.What would you do??

Jen ,I got my head pipes,Thanks ( I'll be calling you on monday about a heat sheild)

Thank for hearing my cry
Matt Spears
Team Bricktucky

Old 03-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, who knows where or who does titanium Frames.Or some one who will do chrome molly.I need a stronger frame And I really do not like any of the other Atvs out there.The pred fit me right, but it doesn't treat me right. I want a ti frame ,and I'll pay because in the long run It will cost the same.A new frame every 6 months with power coating and gusset adds up after a while.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

About the frame trouble, I'd call Jen.....she'll know if anyone will about the titanium,etc. Are you shocks set stiff enough? Seems like you quad takes a brusing when you land......

I understand about 3rd....suprised it hasn't happened sooner......

Oh, and personally, I think the pred is the strongest quad out there in the sport line up......you'll break the rest, just the same.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I know you are right about breaking any of the other atvs.My shocks seemed to be ok But ,I always said they where to hard.After I figure out what i'm going to do I'm going to get new shocks.Axis or even the tld predator shocks or just redo mine.

Thanks bradracer18, i didn't think to ask Jen about the frame. I would ask Doug Nicholas But he will no longer take phone calls((THAT IS VERY VERY LAME DOUG))My engine builder has been trying to cotact him for a few weeks.I would love to know what he thinks about these frames.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

today I talked with Jen and Daryl Rath.Jen told me that they have a frame service(pro gussets) .She explaned the details and it looks like I will send Them a new frame that I already have.She told me that they will be able to powder coat the frame to the color I already have(cherry red).The cost is alot cheeper then East Coast ATV,and after the last few times I sent them some idems to be power coated,,I just cant wait that long for them to mess up colors and shipping.East Coast had to sand blast my frame twice because The frame got screwd in shipping.Then when I sent the my a-arms and swing arm they powder coated them black.WRONG COLOR !! Cherry red is what I asked for .So, guess what They got sand blasted twice also.

I have one other thing in the works,,I found someone who is intrested in doing a chromoly frame or even ti but he informs that the cost would be high.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Matt

Sounds like you got a bunch of related problems, but thanks for making my engine woes seem pale in comparison as I needed a emotional boost with thid thing.

I do have a few ideas for you anyhow.

First find a new powder coater. You can look up my bud Dave in PA (no relation to the one who was dissin you lol)http://www.r-central.net/2rsORC.htm and tell him 440 sent ya and see what he can do for you.

Next go get some damn shocks that will take the shock of those hard landings and not transfer them to the frame. I dont know where you got the failure, but the shocks could deff be part of the cause, and believe it or not the gussets could also be part of it. I am not an engineer and cant tell you where the gussets should be or how many of them for your ride, but I do know that a frame that is too stiff can be worse than one without any gussets at all. I know that a frame just like in a car or road racing bike becomes part of the suspension and needs to flex a certain amount in order to work properly.

Still with the better shocks you may not have any frame issues.

Lastly I have not noticed you around offroadnj.com in a while, and almost forgot we had discussed a ride at njorvp or rausch when our machines were together again, and cant believe neither of us is at that point yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Lots of luck, and hope you find something that will hold up.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Matt-

I'd continue talking to Rath's, to get your bike up and running. I'd throw your dealer/builder out of the picture. Just deal strait through Jen and Daryl. Their products are top notch, and so is the service. Definately worth a little extra cash if need be, in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer is awesome they are my sponcers.My engine builder is known to be one of the best in the state,so, i have no problems there.He will build anything I want,He has also talked to Jen rath a few times on my behalf.We will stay in contact with rath racing for all of my predator needs.Rath is top notch and has the best customer service I have ever seen in the world of atv's.It looks like I will be sending rath my frame for The pro gusset kit and a powder coat job.There is just a few things about the frame that I and the mechanic need to go over with rath before we send it.(find out if they do anything to the sport it broke) Bradracer18,I will keep you posted
440ex026,we will get together someday to ride soon as i get my quad together.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

we will get together someday to ride soon as i get my quad together.
Now that got a laugh from me since it sounds like what I keep saying [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Soon, very soon I hope.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Trailblazer

Fixitmatt, it is very late 2AM and I am still replying to emails, when I was taking phone calls it was all nighters if I was to get any shop work done. If you have a better solution I will listen. But most people that were calling talked a very long time and the majority were just wanting me to help fix someone elses problems. DO you work 15 - 18 hours a day and have pneumonia? If I was only answering the questions for my products I could take calls and still get my work done. But as a curtusy to ALL Predator riders I try to help everyone. One other thing that everyone gets mixed up on is my products. A lot of manufacturers claim they sell the same, but in reallity I design and have all my products made to my specs a huge differance. Yes they make Predator parts also, but to there specs not mine. Example, just today I recieved a custom piston order, I checked it for the specs I requested and it was wrong, now I will wait for the correct ones. I DO not comprimise when it comes to total preformance. I really hopes this clears a little confusion up. Thanks to all my repeat customers!

Quick Reply: broken predator -more of my bad luck