Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I Need a Measurement...Can You Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need a Measurement...Can You Help?

Hi all. I want to make a pair of the spacers that go UNDER the strut cartridge when you put a lift kit on the front of a 2000 Magnum 500. I don't have my ATV here right now, so I can't measure the diameter of the strut cartridge. I want to make these spacers at work tomorrow. Can someone who has a Sportsman or Magnum 500, measure the diameter of their front strut cartridge with some calipers or something, and respond as soon as you can? thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, does anyone know the height of the spring spacers that come with the Highlifter kit for my ATV? I want to make my spacers the same height. Thanks-----Jon H.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

I have 1.633 inches O.D. on the part of the strut cartidge that goes into the strut housing. It sounds like you have a lathe to use at work, however some folks use a PVC coupler for PVC electrical conduit as a strut spacer. The O.D. on the strut spacer isn't critical since the pinch bolts have all the holding power, some guys just slide the strut up a couple of inches and tighten the pinch bolts, good enough I guess.

I can't help you on the height of the HL spring spacers, most "lift kits" are 1.5" to ease the strain on the stock axles - unless they say 2 inch.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

Oh, and if your going for a "true" lift with a spring and strut spacer, check for CV boot clearance against the strut housing. Look while the front end is jacked up and turn the handle bars from stop to stop.

I have a friend who just removed a lift kit from his Magnum because he kept ripping CV boots. I checked his struts and sure enough, he didn't grind the housing.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Make spacers? Try using washers, 15 on each side.

good luck