Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'HO WENCHES, or Winch's on a HO....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my promotional winch today, where did you guys mount the selinoid, toggle switch, and the forward/ reverse switch? Im gonna give up the space and mount all of them in the storage box. Seems kinda tight, but I have it all figured out.

Just wondering, where do you guys have your components mounted?

Cya,

Dave

Old 11-15-2000, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

The best and easiest way to mount all that electrical junk is to leave it in the box it came in. Run your winch direct from the bat There is less things to go wrong and it is much easier to wire. If you need help email me i will tell you how but it is so simple even scambled could figure it out.

Old 11-15-2000, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

HORider,

I installed the toggle switch on the lower left side of the headlight pod next to the choke, it is a tight fit but it keeps the switch out of the way of branches, I put the selonoid in the dry box under the seat that way it is close to the battery and remains dry, the remote I located on the left front fender, this area works great because it allows me to sit on the machine and operate the throttle with my right hand and the winch with my left that way I can either give the engine a little throttle for more electrical power to the winch and/or use the 4 wheel drive to assit.

Good Luck

Old 11-15-2000, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

I did mine the same way as Mud. Works pretty good.
Has anyone had trouble with the switch when they use it? Mine seems to have a delay at times and I thought I heard some popping and crackling coming from it. My old winch had a black switch and the new one is grey and doesn't seem as heavy duty as my old one.

Old 11-15-2000, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

ChopperBill,

Mine has the same delay. Does not seem to affect it's performance though. I have really tested it. The last time I used it I was hooked to a 6" Pine and pulled the tree over. Had to take 2 tow ropes out to get to the next closet pull point.

Mud4Me

Old 11-15-2000, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info fellas! Chopper, I think my dealer shorted me part of the package. (accidentally) I only recieved 1 box of parts. It appears I need 2 steel plates that are pre - drilled, and mount to both sides of the frame in front, and the plate that the winch is mounted to bolts to them. Am I right? Does anyone have that part number for a 01 500 SP HO?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 11-15-2000, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I think you got the wrong kit. You must have the one for use with tube front bumpers.
Part # 2871775 is for the plain kit and has the bracket in it to attach to the front frame.
Part # 2872337 is for the tube bumper set up and contains the bracket to attach to the bumper.
They won't interchange.

Old 11-15-2000, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Dazed has the right idea as far as I’m concerned. Forget all that extraneous BS (solenoid, switch, etc.) The more simple the design (less parts) the more dependable it will be. And why mount a winch if it’s not dependable? When I pull out the winch cable it’s my last resort, and it had better work. I’ve had 2 SuperWinches and 2 Warns on 5 different machines. All were (are) wired directly to the battery. In every case the wiring has worked flawlessly. In my opinion though, I’ll never own another SuperWinch. They don’t hold a candle to Warn. I’d like to try a Rule next, but you can be sure it will be wired directly to the battery.

Old 11-16-2000, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think the winch might hinder the cooling of the radiator?

Old 11-16-2000, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Everybody is scared to wire it that way but like you that is the only way i will wire it never left me stranded. KISS remember that it works.

Quick Reply: 'HO WENCHES, or Winch's on a HO....