Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEED HELP!! Won't go!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 07:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went riding two days ago with my new green clutch spring and HO mods. We rode for about 3 hours and everything was GREAT! Then we stopped for a while to talk to a friend, and upon cranking up to go home, my SP500 wouldn't come out of low range.
Well, I immediately thought it was the gear shifter/linkage/etc. and took off the sides and seat, and everything was OK. You could see the linkage shift, hear the gears change, the whole bit. So I put the everything back on and tried shifting b/w Hi and Lo. You could tell a difference b/w the two...but could still only go to about 20mph before it revved too high.
Today, I took off the clutch cover and inspected the secondary green spring and everything looks fine there, too. Everything moves freely, doesn't seem to engage too fast or anything. Now I'm wondering "what the --------". Is it the primary clutch? The belt is pretty new and shows no sign of slipping...it'll jerk you off the seat now it's so low geared. Hunting season opens this weekend and I was deerly (sic) wanting to show off my "new" 96. Anyone got any ideas? I need serious help!

Old 11-15-2000, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

It might be the same thing that happened to me.Then that would mean your primary clutch is gone.To make sure take it off it`s simple.Once off grab with both hands on opposite sides and try turing it,if it locks up then it is shot,also check the splines for wear. I hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2000, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Need more info? Pull the clutch cover off . Start the moter put it in N What are the clutchess doing rev it up do the clutches open and close completly ? If they do i would try shifting the tranny again the shifting rods may be out of adjustment. Also drive it while the cover is off Now what are the clutches doing? Is the primary closing all the way is the belt riding at the top of the sheave? If not there is something wrong in the clutches the belt will only ride at top when at high rpm,s. Oh by the way be carfull where u put your feet when you do this.

Old 11-16-2000, 07:04 AM
Range Rover

Thanks. I did take the cover off the PVT yesterday and jacked up the quad and rode it, too. Does the belt go ALL THE WAY to the top of the sheave? Mine lacks about an inch. You can tell it's shifting gears...you can tell a difference b/w Hi and Lo...Hi you can go about 20, in Low you can't go 10.

Old 11-16-2000, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Take off the belt and rev it up what does the clutch do now does the clutch come together all the way? Also you never said what the rear was doing wll that one open and close completly ? it could be in you secondary clutch not opening all the way.