Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

epi vs. heelklicker clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default epi vs. heelklicker clutch kit

i asked my dealer about what he put in my old 500 he sold to a guy and said epi and i asked how does it compare to the h/k and he said dont anything about the h/k. is this h/k new or not very common?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No HeelClicker is not new. It has been around for about 3-4 years thai I know of. I think it is more popular than all other kits. People who have them swear by them. I have had 2 and either I am not getting something right or my machines dont like them. I will say they have great customer service, they just couldnt help me.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that dealers tend to use one type of clutch kits and dont fool with any other types. I have heel clicker on mine. It is a simple mod but there are different springs that you can choose that makes it hard to find the right set up you want. IMO But I really like the performence of it.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

it sounds like to me that it works good on certain machines and not so good on maybe the bigger ones as the 800 as far as performance goes. dont really want to spend good money on something that makes machine go slower than it does.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard the 700 and 800 dont really need one. As far as losing speed or slowing down the heel clicker doesnt do that comparied to the epi. If you do some research you will find that the epi changes the helix in the secondary clutch causing it to lose top end. Comparied to the heel clicker it just changes the spring in the secondary. I didnt lose no top end and didnt gain none either, The guy at the comapany told me that and he was right, they shoot straight when you ask the questions. I really like the gain on acceration and better belt grab the heel clicker has. Riding in the yard you wont notice the change but when in the woods and doing some serious riding you can see the difference.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

I just installed an HC kit in my ’05 700 yesterday. Pretty straightforward except for installing the spring in the secondary. First, the driven clutch was a bastard to get off (a little rust goes a long way) then, without a spring compressor getting the new spring in and the snap ring on is a whole lot of fun. Now I know why many who install these kits say “I put the weights and spring in the primary and was happy so I didn’t mess with the secondary.” Yeah right.

Good smooth belt grab was obvious from the start. Engagement seems about 300 rpm higher. Performance is tough to gauge as I don’t usually ride around here and I just put a new set of Swamp Lites on all four corners. I know from past experience it’s tough to really make an accurate comparison between before and after performance mods unless I ride familiar trails. It’s going to be a couple weeks before that can happen.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: floodrunner
I just installed an HC kit in my ’05 700 yesterday. Pretty straightforward except for installing the spring in the secondary. First, the driven clutch was a bastard to get off (a little rust goes a long way) then, without a spring compressor getting the new spring in and the snap ring on is a whole lot of fun. Now I know why many who install these kits say “I put the weights and spring in the primary and was happy so I didn’t mess with the secondary.” Yeah right.

Good smooth belt grab was obvious from the start. Engagement seems about 300 rpm higher. Performance is tough to gauge as I don’t usually ride around here and I just put a new set of Swamp Lites on all four corners. I know from past experience it’s tough to really make an accurate comparison between before and after performance mods unless I ride familiar trails. It’s going to be a couple weeks before that can happen.
You probably should have left your stock secondary spring in since you have the roller secondary. The heel clicker spring is a lower rate spring and will cause you to shift out to soon. If you had the older secondary then I would say change it but with the newer roller secondary you need the stiffer stock spring.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. The way I understand it HC just “revised” all their kits. Mine came with a silver secondary spring that was stiffer and taller than the stock white spring. So I’m guessing it would be considered a “higher rate” spring, right?

Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

from what i read a little is that the h/c is more for better belt grab on the 700/800.the 800 clutch is the better of the polaris ones i beleave. not sure though.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: floodrunner
Thanks for the info. The way I understand it HC just “revised” all their kits. Mine came with a silver secondary spring that was stiffer and taller than the stock white spring. So I’m guessing it would be considered a “higher rate” spring, right?
The heel clicker siver spring is 75-110 and the 700 polaris spring is 80-130 . So your polaris spring should be stiffer.

Quick Reply: epi vs. heelklicker clutch kit