Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 E.F.I. break in period

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 E.F.I. break in period

In a side by side comparison, where does the Outlander 800 fall short of the Sportsman 800?

The power to weight ratio isn't even close and I'll put that Rotax true 800cc up against anything Polaris puts in their ATV's. Aside from the power/weight ratio they seem pretty comparable I just like some of the forward thinking BRP put into the Outlander.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor...

If your going to get a 800 EFI for sure this time go check up at Mack's. THey gave me the best deal on my 500 HO beating out CDA by $300.00 and Allsport by $500.00. Talk to Ted.. Tell him Jeff with the silver dodge sent you. I got mine in March. (no i dont work for Macks I was just impressed at their service and how i was treated)

I am happy with my 500HO. I wish it had a little more power (top end) but like I said before who is going to be tearing down trails at 70mph? The 500 will go everywhere the 800 will go. For the extra 2 grand I couldnt justify it.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

imagine, a bombie owner coming on a ploris sight and slamming. who would thought it lol.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

imagine, a bombie owner coming on a ploris sight and slamming. who would thought it lol.
>>>>

It's not a slam but this guy's opinions are all over the place.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Just picked my 800 up yesterday & plan on breaking it in the same way as I ride. Have had it up to 60 on road WOT, have had it spinning dirt in the garden, accidently pulled the front tires up but had my fiance on back (she wasn't impressed when her back hit the bar). No mud yet though.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stendori

If you are referring to my earlier post about some of the pastor's comments, please keep in mind that I am also a Polaris owner. I bought my 1998 Polaris Explorer after doing alot of research which included this forum for answers regarding which quad I should get to plow my driveway in the winter and yet still be able to have fun on. It was a toss up between the scrambler 4x4 and the explorer. After my research, I went with the explorer due to it having a low gear and the concerns of some members on this sight that the Scrambler might burn through belts without the low gear for pushing snow. The explorer fit my budget and so far (only bought it a month ago) I think it is a great quad for what I need it to do. Having said that if my budget was larger I would have liked to have a quad with IRS for trail riding. I knew that only the newer quads had IRS and were out of my price range. I bought the best quad I could within my budget. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

I did not come over to this sight to bash, I just don't appreciate people making broad generalizations without doing the hands on research. If I offended any of you I apologize, that was not my intent.

I think both bombardier and polaris make a quality quad, polaris has been doing it longer and therefore have the brand recognition and loyal following, but that does not mean that they necessarily build the best quad for each individuals needs. I look forward to seeing what each company has to offer in the future, it should be exciting.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Raidermike...Obviously you are here to settle some score. Let me help you. Firstly, initially I was looking at a bomb. After looking closer I decided it isnt the bike for me. O.K.? You seem to be hung up on some past comments I made. I apologize for anything I said that you feel was inappropriate. I hope this clears the air. I am seriously looking at the Polaris 800 as it seems more suited to what I am looking for. I am finished with sport/utility models as they seem to emphasize more sport than utility. The Bomb looks like a killer...but it doesn't appear to be for me. Lets move on...

Viper...Thanks so much. I will check into that.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I am finished with sport/utility models as they seem to emphasize more sport than utility. The Bomb looks like a killer...but it doesn't appear to be for me. Lets move on...
>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

This is what the market demands and why companies like Honda market different quads for different uses. The Rincon clearly isn't a utelity "per se" but for occasional usage would be sufficient. The Outlander is a Hybrid of both offering the most used utility features with enough sporty features to appeal to the masses.

I just don't see a huge difference between the SP and Outlander, other then power to weight ratio they seem about even to me. I know two different Yamaha dealers who used to also carry Polaris and both said that Polaris was the only of the major brands he would not recommend. FWIW.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

Raidermike...In what aspect is the bomb a "utility". The SP has a much sturdier frame, racks, higher clearance and all round solid construction. The Bomb is a sport/utility the SP strictly a utility. From my opoint of view 2 completely differnt machines. Dont get me wrong, I would be interested in this machine if it wasn't for the overly "sportiness" of the bike. If it was a little more utility...well, I think you know what my choice would be.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Raidermike...In what aspect is the bomb a "utility". The SP has a much sturdier frame, racks, higher clearance and all round solid construction.>>>>>>>>

Much sturdier frame as in how?? I mean, what you list here is clearly subjective and I could easily argue the technology of the SST frame on the Outlander is far advanced over the SP. How much sturdier are the racks on the SP? How much more ground clearance? You think that Fuji engine is better then a Rotax??

The SP may fit YOUR needs but IMO the Outlander is a more refined and better choice.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 E.F.I. break in period