Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First oil change? DIY or Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change? DIY or Dealer

It's almost time for my first oil change on my '06 500 HO. This is my first quad and I want to take care of it but at the same time don't want to pay $150 for something I may can do myself. Does the dealership do something else besides change the oil? Opinions and experience please and thanks.

Dan

Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do it myself. I dont know if they adjust the valves or not after break in. I would ask them, but still, this is a great time to get to know your new quad. Get a book on it, and you will be very satisified.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Do it yourself. I had my dealer do the first oil change (for warranty sake) on my 06 800 and the experiance was frightening. Dirty funnel , oil and grease all over the place, missed grease fittings , dirt all over the tip of the grease gun from probing for fittings. I asked the guy to check the other fluids aswell and he didnt even know where to check the tranny fluid. Atleast if you do it yourself you know what you got. Needless to say , screw the "warranty sake" , i do it myself now.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Priate country..

Do it yourself. Its easy...

Sent you a PM.....

Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

tranny fluid?

Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
tranny fluid?
Transmission oil.
Gearbox oil.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the engine oil.

Dan

Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

If you can change the oil in your truck, then you can change your quad oil blind folded, wearing a latex suit with a red rubber ball in your mouth!!!!

I have found that, other than the internal components of the motor/transmission, that these things are fairly simple to work on. I would invest in a service manual for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

If its still under warranty and they are just going to change the oil for that price I'd do it myself.

But I would have them do a full check over of the machine, oils, fasteners, everything.
That's what I did when mine was new then I took over from there when it was out of warranty.

Jim

Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have about 10 hours on my 06 500 h.o and I bought the "DIY" kit at the dealer. I know the manual says I don't have to do it yet, but the thought of possible metal filings and/or chips floating around bothers me. I'm doing it myself because when the dealer was doing the paperwork I was reading the manual and when I asked about priming the oil pump after draining the crankcase he asked the mechanic and he said you only do that when there is engine work to be performed and not to bother. I mentioned again that the manual says to do it each oil change and he said he's never done it!

I will bring it in for a 6 month check up, and I'll watch every step and make sure it's done according to the manual, not just a once over, other than that, I'm doing the maintenance.

Quick Reply: First oil change? DIY or Dealer