Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

problems w/ gorilla winch ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems w/ gorilla winch ?

i di use my warn to secure my sporty and trailblazer to the trailer(wont anymore) but the problem i have had it the lack of power and it growls alot louder than it use to.. i had my dealer rebuild it and used it once and it started to growl again, almost seems hard to lift my plow

Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

All my Buddy's have warns there all froze up wont run or locked up that's one reason why i tried something else.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Warn 2500ci. It is a good winch and I have it submerged in water a lot. It finally did lock up on me and I took it apart and it was FULL of sand, mud and all kinds of other crap. If you neglect to keep ANY winch clean and lubricated it will fail sooner or later. I had to actually pull the armature out of mine and buff it down with a wire wheel on a grinder. I let it go so long the motor housing actually has a hole in it that is eaten from the inside out. It was a major effort to clean it up. I had to use a hammer to get it apart. I almost threw it away it was so bad. BUT, yes it still works (for now).

You guys should check out the Mile Marker winches. I got a brand new 2500# ATV winch for $150.00 on ebay. So far so good. It looks just like my Warn but is a different color.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

I HAVE A 300 LB GORRILA WINCH THAT PULLED MY 500 LIFTED POLARIS WITH A BROKE FRONT CV JOINT AND A TRAILER HUNG UP ON A CYPRESS KNEE OUT OF A DEEP HOLE FULL OF GUMBO MUDD JUST FINE.LIKE THE MAN SAID GET A ****** BLOCK IT WILL GIVE YOU DOUBLE THE PULLING POWER AND NOT HURT YOUR WINCH LIKE JERKING IT WITH ANOTHER ATV WILL.BY THE WAY IF ANY OF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT GUMBO MUDD IS IT IS A THICK CLAY MUDD THAT HAS A LOT OF SUCTION,ENOUGH TO STOP YOUR TIRES FROM TURNING NO MATTER HOW MUCH POWER YOU HAVE IF YOU ARE SUNK DEEP.IT ALSO WILL TURN YOUR TIRES BLUE WERE IT DRIES ON THEM.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

I & my friends have 3000 lb gorilla winches & we have used them alot . We have had no problems .Well, mine got where it was hard to free spool ,but it will free spool.I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

hey , SPORTMAN40005, in your pictures you have on 28s .. hows the power, what mods do you have. i run 27s 589 itps and have a huge power loss

Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

if you want to go with bigger tires you need to get lighter tires such as the vampir,swamp lites and so on.i run 29 inch vampires they are a lot lighter than the 589s.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: onesavage
hey , SPORTMAN40005, in your pictures you have on 28s .. hows the power, what mods do you have. i run 27s 589 itps and have a huge power loss

To b honest, I don't notice any power loss. They are swamp lites on alum. rims. I didn't weight them vs stock tires with steel wheels. I should do this so I'll know.

I have no other mods. I tried a white clutch spring , but all that did was raise my RPM B- 4 the clutch would enguage. So, I put the stock spring back in. That's what I was doing when you posted

Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

i put the long orange spring in with 58 grahm epi belly buster weights.it raised my rpm up a little but i have more power in highrange.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Gorilla 3000lb and had a few problems. I really haven't put it to a real test yet. Me or somebody else ran it too far in and the swaged collar by the hook got forced into the fairlead and stuck there. This fried both of the relays inside the little control box. The freewheel **** would not work with all of that pressure on it until I directly jumpered the winch with a battery charger. Anyhow I found 2 replacement 70amp relays and it is working again.
I also had to redrill the mounting plates that were supposed to be model specific. (Sportsman)
Next time I think I will spend the extra and get a better one. I have a Ramsey 3000 also and am really happy with that one.

Quick Reply: problems w/ gorilla winch ?