Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New HPD roller clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ron or Xplor (if you have the HPD roller)

Ron you said that you had to make a couple of tries at settings to get the RPMs right. What did you install it on (I have a 2000 Scrambler 400 4X4). I have one to install (this weekend I hope) and would like to know what settings you used. Any advise you (or anyone else) can give me would be greatly appreciated. Please be as detailed as possible as I am not the brightest person in the world.

Thanks KD

Old 11-24-2000, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone one know if hpd has an e-mail address? The wife will kill me if I run the phone bill up on stupid stuff(her opinon).

Old 11-24-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I think they do have one listed on their web site, but it is monitored by some other company. All they do with technical questions is referre you to call them.

As for the adjustments Ronn had to make, they were probably with spring pretension. He has a '99 Sport nearly identical to mine. If you machine is stock a quick call to Darrell at HPD and he'll tell you what setting to start with. However, if you make any mods in the future you will more than likely have to use new settings to compensate for the changes in the motor.

Old 11-24-2000, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you are into jumping you might want to avoid the AAEN roller. The rollers can shear off on hard landings. I have heard the newer clutches from AAEN have stronger bolts holding the rollers on, but I haven't confirmed it myself.

Old 11-24-2000, 09:59 PM
Ron
Weekend Warrior

I am using HPD's aggressive weights and springs with the roller in the 7/1 holes. On my bike with this clutch setup it will turn to 7000 and stay there. If you have a built 400 you can try this setting or better yet the 13 pound setting which is 3/3. Run the bike and see where your rpms are and then make a change if you have to.
Obviously if you are running a close to stock bike your roller settings will be different for a lower rpm. Let me know how it turns out, take your time grinding and drilling.

Old 11-24-2000, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE

Spent the day tearing down the Scrambler. Installed HDP Trail Pipe and Silencer. Installed RCR air box mod. Rejetted to 270 Main Jet (went to 30 on other jet). 3 clip on needle with 1/2 clip washer. Installed HPD roller clutch with HPD violet spring (7/1 - 14lb setting (got lucky same as rons)). I hope this is the correct setting for my bike as this is a major pain to change. Put in HPD red spring with agressive weights from HPD. Also put in a new steering bushing (probably the most time consuming project today). Only scary part was grinding and drilling for the roller. Fired it up briefly to make sure it would run (still up on jack stands). Tomorrow I grease it up, put plastic and floor boards back on. Clean the garage up and go riding. I will check the plug for proper jetting as I would not want to ruin all the hard work so far. After 14 hours of working on the scrambler I am going to bed. More to come later.

Thank god I have aircraft mechanics and CART race mechanics as GOOD neigbors with lots of tools and knowledge (and they work for beer).

KD

Old 11-25-2000, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE II

WWWOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Did not ride it much due to rain. But let me tell you it is like a different machine. I will let everyone know more details after I ride it some more. It does engage at a higher RPM (knew it would) which will make it interesting when loading it in the pick-up.

KD

Old 11-26-2000, 12:32 AM
rnl
Trailblazer

Kevin, which scrambler do you have?

Old 11-26-2000, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

rnl

2000 Scrambler 4X4 400

KD

Old 11-29-2000, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

There is a lot of tuning that can be done to these roller clutches (Aaen or other) that require an accurate tachometer to properly set up. Anyone who goes to a roller setup without a tach is throwing $$$ to the wind. I constantly hear of the stories that people who install them don't get much out of it. You get out of it what you put in to it. It means they are just beginning the learning process. There are many tricks to clutching these machines that can immensely improve performance.

The first is learning how to keep a straight line power curve. Most people do not even know what that is. There are many factory racing secrets that are just starting to come out about how to set up the clutching using new techniques. But it all boils down to spending many, many "hours" making adjustments to get everything "perfect" and keeping a log book of the changes. You Cannot go by the seat of the pants because when it's right, you can't tell, it's too smooth. Your butt is lying to you. Only the stopwatch will tell the correct story. Performance is smoothness. The roller along with a TPI and/or ST kit can make performance gains that you would have thought were not possible. When everything is right it actually "feels" slower because it's all in sync and operating more efficiently.

www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Quick Reply: New HPD roller clutch