Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

?s on '01 Scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?s on '01 Scrambler 500

It's new to me and in great shape it seems. Took it out in the woods (and a mud hole!) yesterday and I was impressed being of the two-wheel club for many years. Now on with the questions.

1) What other models and what years parts are interchangeable with mine?
2) I want more thottle response down low.........how do I get it? Exhaust would be nice but it must be kept quiet like stock. Bald eagles. bears, and deer don't like noise!
3) I've got a chain to put on it but its not an O-ring chain. Is this a problem?
4) What aftermarket brake pads are good for dirt, mountain trails, and mud? It rains a lot here so they must perform when wet.
5) Can a hand brake be fabbed up for the rear brake? Going down steep hills (aka: mountains) would be much easier.
6) Has anyone painted their plastic fenders with sucess and without peeling off? If so, what products did you use?
7) Is there a camo decal set available for this quad?
8) Is the brake light suppose to work with the rear brake like it does with the front brake?
9) Is there an aftermarket trip odometer available?
10) What bulbs can I replace the eom headlight bulbs with that will give me the best bang for the buck that won't melt my wiring?
11) Is there a plow kit available?

Thats if for now. Thanks in advance!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

You should check out our web-site www.speedwerx.com we offer some of the products you are looking for or have ?'s about. We offer an exhausst system but any and every ex. available for that machine is going to be louder than stk.. You should really run a o-ring chanin on that machine your non-oring one will work but it will go bad alot faster. For more bottom end you might want to consider a k&n filter and a clutch kit possibly even a jet kit since you are worried about noise. We also offer a split brake kit hat allows you to control fronts with one hand and rears with the other hand. We have graphics available but not in camo.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

#9....... Trail Tech makes a great computer for this machine.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

Camo tape for a camo quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have seen the plow kits for these but I dont remember who made them.
The brake light doesn't work on mine with the foot brake,but it could be different years.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

1)1997- current year should all interchange
2)It might be as simple as a new belt. I would replace that first because the old one might be worn enough to make it sluggish. If that doesnt help, Call Rick Ritter. They specialize in Polaris clutch setups and will steer you in the right direction.
3)not sure
4)I use the stock pads with no problems.
5)Your foot pedal is for just rear brakes but Polaris does have an EBS setup for the scrammy if you want it.
6)n/a
7)They do seel rolls of camo decals for graphics shops......it might work if you are good at fabricating.
8)not sure.
9)I think there are a couple of companies that make them like tiny tach for example
10) I never had to replace mine .......yet

11) I have a plow for my scrammy 500 for sale if you are interested. It is a cycle country 48 inch with the manual lift and the blade has adjustable angles. It works great!!! I would sell it to you for $250 plus what ever shipping would be from PA. They are like $450 brand new and mine is in really good shape. I have a 800 efi now with its own set up so i dont need it anymore.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info guys. Now a few more questions....

1) Do I need special tools to change the belt or install a clutch kit? If so, where can I get them besides the dealer (see below)?
2) Can I do both the above by myself in the garage w/o having done it before? There is one shop (yamaha and polaris) shop where I live, but I don't trust them and they charge outrageous prices and takes a month or more just to get parts. They aren't friendly folks since they are the only business in town and an airplane ride to get to their competion.
3) Is a clutch kit just the springs others have mentioned on the board or is there more to it?
4) Is there an online vendor you'd recommend to order eom parts from (such as a belt)?

Thanks again.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey all I just got an 01 scrambler 500 myself, nice bike! I'm in PA and I'd be interested in your plow SPYDEY4.

Anybody know which hitch and rear rack fit this bike? I found some that fit the 500 H.O. but no indication of whether it will work for this year.

- Mike

Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Jimijam, our clutch kits come with a really good set of instructions and if you have problems putting in the kit you can always call our tech line and we can walk you right through it. The only special tool you would need is a snap ring pliers to remove the helix from the secondary clutch, other than that if you wanted you could get a clutch puller for the primary clutch but you do not need it, the primary spring and weights can be changed with the clutch on as well. I can also get you a new belt if you do not want to get one from your dealer (they should have one on the shelf though)? If you have any ?'s or would like to call us our # is 651-982-6020 or you cna check out our website @ www.speedwerx.com

Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Range Rover

Hey ATVTURBO, a rack and hitch for any year scrambler will fit 97-present. I have both and they work well.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the heads up SPYDEY4

Is there any way to know which other accessories will fit? Some sites seem to break it down like "fits 02 scrambler 2x4" but have no listing for "01 scrambler 500 4x4" so I figured it wouldn't work...

Quick Reply: ?s on '01 Scrambler 500