Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Finally! a Scrambler :o

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally! a Scrambler :o

Well after much searching around, I finally purchased a 500 Scrambler. It is used with 1 owner. everything is just like off the showroom floor. there's even new chain goo on the chain still. The dealer said the last guy bought it from them new than traded it in on a sled a month later. the only thing wrong is the guy must have got the pressure washer too close because half of one of the graphics is ripped off and the Polaris emblem on front is half off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] The reason I think pressure washer is because there are no scratches at all on the plastic or guards/frame. paid $4200 OTD . only $100 over suggested retail and I'm sick of looking so it worked for me. I didn't even have to say anything to the dealer. they new I drove about 2hr 30 min there so they just gave me their lowest price. Was up for $4400 on the site.

One question I do have is about the steering stem bushing. I thought they were rivited on? This one has a brass colored bushing with 2rounded head bolts/nuts holding it on. I just remember the others I looked at having a black bushing with rivits.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the newer scrammys came with brass lower bushing instead of the old plastic piece-o-crap. The upper is still crap if I am not mistaken.

Steve

Old 06-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

another question is about the chain tension. it seems way to loose when sitting still. I know the concentric system is suppose to keep tension but its already wearing down my upper chain guard. is there a way to tighten the chain other than removing links with the concentric system or is this the sole reason for the HPD tensioner?

also, i have to point out that Dirt Wheels was right. The stock handgrips are not at all comfortable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

All the concentric drive means is that the swingarm pivot point & the axle are on the same "plane" or geometry when the suspension is fully compressed, thus minimizing chain stretch. It does not & will not keep the chain tight, thats still up to the owner (you)

All you do is loosen the two long bolts clamping the swingarm to the bearing carrier in the back, then get either one big crecent wrench or pipe wrench & turn the carrier either forward or backwards, sorry I can't remember which way.
Be careful not break off your grease zerk on the carrier.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

actually there are 4 bolts to loosen and you dont need a big wrench [ you can do this by hand , once the bolts are loosened properlly ] consult your owners manuel.......