Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plows

Wondering what plow style is best...

V shaped plow
Angled to one side

or

Straigth blade.

Interested in getting a plow for snow plowing and dont want to get a plow style that would be full of known issues.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default plows

I assume you are talking snow, even though it is summer. If so, IMO a V is the best. Simply for versatility. You can save so much time by moving them both forward during the last few passes. The snow roll off is what gets me mad. sometimes you can only do about a 1/2 blade width, because of snow roll off.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default plows

Yes I am talking about snow. I want to pay out the plow and gear so it does not hit me all the one time. I want to go after it now so I can have it all set and sitting for the winter. Last winter in my new home was a real bear to deal with in terms of the snow amount and the yard incline.

I want to explore my options now and get the best soloution I can. I'm thinking chains on the tires too.. Any thoughts?

thanks
d

Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Range Rover
Default plows

I have the Warn 54" straight blade with increments of angle to either side. I like it it does the job. I chose this stye over the V cause I use it for moving dirt, pushing firewood and pushing brush back. I use the winch for lifting the blade. I think I might have gotton the Swisher plow set - up if I had seen that first just because of the attachments you can get for it. You will go through alot of wear bars if you keep the angle aways set to one side.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Range Rover
Default plows

Dutch...get a straight blade that you can angle. You know instead of paying a bunch at the dealership look in the Buy & Sell for used (put in an ad looking for one) or check out some of the welding shops who make them up. You will get it a whole lot cheaper than going through a dealer. Chains are also a great help when plowing especially if your driveway is unpaved or if a lot of ice gets down. The can tend to scratch the asphalt otherwise. They don't hurt the asphalt but come spring you will see a lot of scratches but then again it doesn't cost a lot to have the driveway sealed. PM me if you want it sealed and I'll send my buddy to do it.

As for people thinking it strange to look for a blade this time of year...here in NL we can get snow anytime - winter or summer (but we generally get more in the winter). Probably some of the strangest weather in the world experinced here on The Rock. Basically if you don't like the weather...wait 15 minutes and it will change. We only have two seasons here - winter & almost winter. Best place in the world to live too.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Range Rover
Default plows

A V- Plow is the best if it will fold in then you can carry the snow and it wont spill out the sides, I had a country style with the one side higher than the other, it did'nt work worth crap so I cut it straight. It's a Eagle Plow and heavy duty, it's higher and heavier than most plows, the heigth adjustment pads are like the type that are on P/up truck plows, and it has 5 adjustments.

The best thing to do with the cutting edge is get a peice of pipe as long as the plow and cut a slit in it long ways and make two mounting brackets at each end than put it over the cutting edge ang bolt it to the plow this will help to keep from digging up your drive and yard.