Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rebuild or Replace???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or Replace???

In for a penny, in for a pound? Here's a question that I hope to generate some feedback on. Any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated. I'll start with a little background.

Some time ago I posted a question regarding an engine problem I was had with my quad. The oil supply line on my '02 Polaris Xpedition 425 started to leak (for some unknown reason - 625 miles on it - WTF!). While I was driving it, all the oil leaked out and the quad quit. Bottom line was that due to oil starvation the camshaft seized, causing the timing chain to break, and that was that. Prior to that the quad was running perfectly with no indication that it was in distress before it quit.

I took it in to Mountain Toys in Cochrane, AB. They replaced the head. Total cost $1900. They fired it up, after putting it all together, only to discover that there is a loud knock coming from the bottom end.

Here's the question. Would you rebuild the bottom end or buy a brand new engine at this point? I mean how far does one go in trying to repair something like this. They're best guess was that it sounded like the connecting rod. Estimated another $1500-2500 to fix. Possible more depending on if there is more wrong. The transmission seems fine as it does run. I'm a little concerned that if I authorize them (not this shop but that's another story) to crack it to see what's wrong with it that I might be better off getting a new engine out of the states (in retrospect that's what I should have done in the first place!!) and call it a day.

Anybody know of a decent atv mechanic in Calgary that wants to make a little money on the side?

Any advice, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Balzac, Alberta

Old 06-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you seized the engine from lack of oil, i would not put any money into it as there could be more problems later on from excess heat to make parts worn or break. cheaper to buy either a new or used engine and keep the old one for spare. my 2 cents

Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

To clarify a bit. The engine did not seize. The camshaft did though which caused the timing chain to break. The cylinder, piston, rings etc, were all fine. The condition of the cylinder led the shop to believe that the bottom end was probably fine. That's why I did the top end, basically on the basis of thier opinion.

I hear what your saying though which makes sense. The problem I have with trying to fix the bottom end is that the shop rate charges out at $89 and they suggested that it would likely be an 8-10 hour minimum. If there are more things wrong with the bottom end than just the connecting rod, they're best guess, the estimate could get even uglier. Thanks for your reply.

Mike

Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Just me, but even if I bought a used engine, I'd rebuild the used one just to be sure there were no problems when it got installed.

So, in my cinerio, I'd just rebuild the old one. But I'd get some different quotes too.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

I would buy part or all of a engine from a wrecked quad,ect and use it.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well i thought the whole engine had seized on ya. my misundersatnding. the ole saying still goes though if you have it apart that much you might as well do a complete rebuild like bearing. but on the other hand did you try to see what you can get a rebuilt one for and maybe sell yours for parts. i would try to find a cheaper place to do the work or buy a manual and do it your self. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest that you either 1 get a used engine and have a machine shop go over it to make sure it's mechanically sound or 2 take your current engine to a machine shop and have them do a complete rebuild. Having had a similar problem on 2 different engines a 1975 Honda CB360 and a GM 3.8L V6 once the cam chain breaks a full R and R are required. After trying the cheap fix on both by repairing the obviously broken and worn parts both engines failed with less than 100 post fix miles on them.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I blew the motor in my 2000 500 sportsman, bought a used one from the Sled Parlor in carstairs/crossfield I can not remember which only cost 1200.00. motor is still running strong 2 years later. Just Google sled parlor and get in touch with them.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Mike