Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TB Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB Wont Start?

Got an 05 tb for my son wont start put a couple of new plugs in its getting spark cleaned the carb its getting fuel. I eeven tried starter fluid nothing not eveen a sputter. Any help greatly apreciated

Old 06-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default TB Wont Start?

A few obvious things here that I'm sure you already tried, but who knows.

Make for sure that the fuel lever is turned on. Also on the left handlebar there is the little red switch that has to be switched to on before you start it.

When you put the key in and turn it. Does the lights come on? If not maybe its a dead battery. Finaly have you tried to pull start it. Oh and go easy on the starter fluid..

Edited....... Forgot to ask if your using full choke.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TB Wont Start?

even if you had a dead battery you could pull start it. its a very simple 2 stroke, right air, gas, and fire it should fire right up.you said you changed the plug any reason? was t flooded? it cant have alot of time on it if its an 05.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Range Rover
Default TB Wont Start?

Many 2 strokes wont start if you have too much fluid in the base of the engine. Go underneath the wheeler with a 10mm wrench or socket and you will see a 10mm bolt, it may also have a phillips head built into it aswell, Anyway take this out, fluid may or may not come out, if some does then that is a good thing. leave the bolt out, turn the key off, and pull start it about 5 times to get the rest of the fluid out. put the bolt/plug back in and do not over tighten it, just a little past snug, you dont want to snap it off! Turn the key on, make sure the killswitch is off, and the gas is on. pull it over. Best of luck to you and I hope this helps, Brian

Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default TB Wont Start?

I got it running I took the crank case plug out and turned it over. a lot of gas came out i then got it running and shut it down then went to start after a ride and it wouldnt start. This just blows my mind. any help?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Range Rover
Default TB Wont Start?

Hey glad to hear what I said worked. Your needle and seat valve is eithe clogged or bad. This is located in the carb, it is accessable through the flaot bowl. Take the 4 screws that hold the float bowl on, Gently hit the bowl with the other side of the screwdriver to knock it lose. Then look to see where the fuel delivery tube connects to the carb. there will be a hex bolt, thats what holds the needle and seat valve together and is the needle and seat valve. Try and clean it first then push the float all the way up, blow air with your mouth into where the fuel delivery tube goes, if air blows past then you need a new needle and seat valve. Actually try that first after you take the float bowl off to see if it blows by then try to clean it. What the purpose of the needle and seat valve is, is to supply fuel to the float bowl only when the bowl needs it. When you use gas the fuel inside the bowl goes down, the float obvioulsy floats on top of the gas and when the amount goes down in the bowl the float goes down, the float is linked to needle and seat valve, when the float lowers it flows fuel in, when the float raises(say when you shut the wheeler off or when there is not a demand for fuel) it pushes the needle up into the seat and stops the flow of fuel. If the needle doesnt seat it will keep flowing fuel into the carb, it then raises and flows out of the carb through the pilot jet hole and some out of the main jet hole and all the gas flows into the base of the engine, after that it fills and fills until the fluid is even and cant flow any more. This is what your carb is doing, it keeps flowing fluid into the base filling it and you cannot start it. Until you get it fixed, use the fuel shutoff switch so no more fuel will flow into the base. Needle and seat valves are not cheap either. They will probably run you about 20-30 bucks! Best of luck to you. And hope this all helps and hope you understand all of it, if you dont understand it then post your problem and we will see what we can help you out. Brian

Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer
Default TB Wont Start?

Brian,
Thanks that makes a lot of sensce I cant get to work on it for a couple of days but will keep ypu posted. thank you for your time. I did have the carb apart and cleaned it all out but I didnt look at the seat valve and floats like you said.