Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sp 800 2006 problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sp 800 2006 problem

New to the forum so some one tell if im right or wrong ? I bought a 06 sp800 EFI in dec-23 for x-mas I only have 60 hours on this machine .this bike have never been in the water deeper than the floor boards about the only place the bike goes are durt roads or trails 4 weeks ago the bike would not idle. if you gave it gas it would go but no idle.i so i took it to the dealer were I bought it .and 4 weeks later after buggy the hell out of them to find out what they found finily looked at it yesterday.They are telling me that sand got threw the soak and the filter and damaged the engine so bad have to replace valve crank cyclinder and many more 1700 in parts I serviced the bike my self at 20 hr the dealer said if they would have serviced it they would have done it twice by now and they would have found the problem.if that is so that would mean the bike would be in the shop more than I could ride it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

Ouch!!! that sucks!!!! As far as dealer servicing....thats just them being a smart ***. I dont know what to tell you other than try another dealer if you dont believe them. Did you look at your air filter to see if what they were saying is true? I hope they are wrong.....

Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i call shinanigans!

run your bike through diagnostic mode and see what it comes up with. the fact that you only have 60 miles on it and water has never been up past your floor boards makes me think the dealer is using that as a scape goat. look around your quad, maybe you have a dirty filter, hell maybe you fouled your spark plugs

Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

The bike at the shop on the lift they looked at it yesterday had I had to call them 4 time before i could get a answer to find out what was wrong closed at 5 yesterday closed today and monday. but tuesday after work I need to see this for my self . I looked at the air filter before that bike went to the shop because when you take ANY THING for servive for repair its the owner fault.but the filter was not durty to were it would have done that kind of damage

Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Years ago GM had a issue where the sand from the cast blocks would not all come out before assebly. If there is that much damage, drain the oil into a clean pail run it through a paper filter (Paint) and see whats left. If you air filter was tight and not torn then maybe a sand was there from the start?

All can say good luck on that one.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ja go for that

Old 06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if the cable is not adjusted properly. There is a kill switch at the throttle control that shuts off the engine should the cable break. If this is misadjusted the switch will be activated at idle. When you give it throttle movement the switch will open, and engine runs! The fact that the engine runs makes me wonder about engine damage. You did not clarify how good the engine runs though. Hope this helps out. BEWARE someone on here will claim abuse before too long. Wait and see[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it would take a hell of alot of sand to do all that damage. you said it will go under power, does it have any power? if that much sand dirt or what ever was in there you wouldnt have much compression left ill bet. i dont see what the idling of the bike has to do w/ the inside being full of dirt. like it was said drain the oil and take a look. if theres that much in there then someone poured in there.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply yes the bike had power it would not idle for more than a few minutes.bike shop is closed on monday and have to go on tuesday so I dont know what any thing look like. going to try to call polaris on monday and see how that goes.I just cant see how that much sand can get past that filter to damage that engine with 60 hours unless it was getting in past the filter.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Based on the amount of time they took to look at it alone you need a different dealer, much less their “questionable” prognosis. ABUSE! (sorry Instigator, couldn’t resist)

Quick Reply: polaris sp 800 2006 problem