Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Squeaky suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky suspension

Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seams like every time I ride and go through a few mud puddles, my front and rear suspension starts squeaking and creaking. I think the noise is coming from the top of the springs. Sometimes if I pressure wash the grit out, the sound will go away for a little while, but it always comes back. Can I get any grease up in there? It is a little embarrassing.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

They all pretty much do it, the rear suspension creeking is sometimes caused from the spring rubbing against the shock absorber wall, it would'nt be a bad idea to throw some grease in there if it bothers you, after you drive for so long like that you kinda get used to it, at least that is how it is for me. Brian

Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Spray some wd-40 up into your front springs and spray the bushings on the rear shocks.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

I hope I don't have to just accept that my ATV sounds like an old jalopy. I have tried WD-40 and it seems to cure the problem for a little while but I was hoping there is a more permanant solution. Could I take anything appart and smear some wheel baring grease anywhere?

Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

are you sure it is your suspension? it could be grit in your brakes making the noise.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You just have to deal with it sounding like an old jalopy. Our 600 does it and I have replaced all teh bushings but aftewr a few times playing in the mud it squeaks. I have noticed that when you replace the bushings all the bushings are rusted in the a arms and the bolts that they pivot on is rusted. I dont think I have ever heard a Polaris not squeal or make noise if you play in the mud. Even my 330 did it after a while. All I know now is that it doesnt happen with my rincon. Dont ride the 600 much anymore. Front diff is starting to go out again for the 3rd time on the 600. You can do the bushings and it will help for a while. If you do them put grease on every surface of the bushing then if you dont want it to come back dont play in the mud.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

My noisy front end is coming from the top of the springs rather than the bushings since it squeaks when you compress it or just turn the wheels. I think I'm going to look for some type of grease that's a little thicker to spray on the tops of the springs. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the reason why the WD-40 is only working for a little while is because WD-40 isnt a long term lubricant. try using spray on chain lube or go to walmart to the sporting goods section and buy a spray can of Rem-Oil. its a Teflon based oil that is designed for high movement, high wear areas on gun parts and is use extensively by the military. if Rem-Oil is used by the military for their guns, im sure it'll perfect for your quads squeekyness.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Range Rover

I do have some Rem-oil. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. White Lithium Grease works better than WD-40. But standard pratice now is ride, clean it up and grease all moving suspension parts. It's a pain but I hate to hear all that squeking all the time too.

Quick Reply: Squeaky suspension