Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrammy tires, Whats the best for my riding??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 04:00 AM
|
Range Rover
Default Scrammy tires, Whats the best for my riding??

Hello, I have a 1998 scrammy 400 4x4 with mods. Was wondering what tire would be the best for my riding. I ride paved roads occasionally, dirt roads alot, Alot of mud, some thick some soupy, water, alot of crossing creeks, rivers and slippery rocks. Also keep in mind I have 4wd, I need both front and rear tires, I also ride on snow occasionally but only in the spring and fall. I have one brand new rear tire, It is the stock titan at489, all other tires have about 10% or less(front) and 15 or less on the other rear, This is how bad I need tires. I looked at the carlisles at wally world and im not sure how long they will last and what ply they are. Is the more ply's the better? Like a 6 ply will last longer yet have worse traction rating on slippery sufaces? Your help is most apreciated, Thanks alot, Brian

Old 07-02-2006 | 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

The stock titian tires are pretty good in alot of stuff I find so the titian 489xt's would be my choice they are 6 ply too which is real good and they are lighter than alot of other 6 ply tires so performance will not suffer.
I have tried alot of tires and I keep coming back to the 489xt's. Bear claws were good but found them heavy and not the best in the snow or hardpack roads. holeshot xct were good on the hardpack and pretty good in the snow but were not very good in the mud.
These are my thoughts on this and I am sure others will have a different opinion.
On a side note I would also change the fronts from 23-7-10 to 23-8-10 i also found the little wider in the front helped the front stay up on the snow and better for the mud and did not notice any diff in performance or handling.

Good luck with your choice

Old 07-02-2006 | 08:59 AM
Range Rover

I agree, the 489 xt's are a good choice. A more aggressive version of the excellent stock tires.

Old 07-02-2006 | 12:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have HD's on my scrambler, i went muddin yesterday for the first day yesterday with them and they worked great

not to mention they kickass on the trails and a variety of terrain, they too are 6 ply and so far so good..u could always look into some ITP mudlites if u ride in alot of mud

Old 07-02-2006 | 02:03 PM
|
Range Rover

Hey thanks for the input guys, You are a big help. I will look into those tires today. Thanks again, Brian

Old 07-02-2006 | 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

On my third set of tires on my scram. I have dirt devils on it now and i really love them. I can still sling it around in the woulds but it does great in the mud too. Not too heavy of a tire either. May be a little more pricy than the 489's, but the stiffer side walls tend to let it be thrown around alittle more easy. Just my 2 cents. As long as you stay away from big mud tires I'm sure they all do good.

Old 07-02-2006 | 05:25 PM
|
Range Rover

Would you guys recommend dirt devils for the front, rear or both? Or what should I use for the fronts and what should I use for the rears, I could buy different brands for front and rear, what are you guys doing? Are you alternating brands for front and rear or staying the same all around? So a 6 ply tire would be the best? Thanks alot, Brian

Old 07-02-2006 | 07:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ive heard a lot of good things about kenda bearclaws?

Old 07-02-2006 | 07:36 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I was thinking about the DirtDevils for my Scrammy but after having them on the rear of our Warrior I went with 489s.The DDs are wearing fast and dont clean themselves that great.

Old 07-02-2006 | 07:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ive heard a lot of good things about kenda bearclaws?

Quick Reply: Scrammy tires, Whats the best for my riding??