Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 4x4 owners please respond!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting closer to making my final decision between 2x4 & 4x4 and wanted final information regarding reliability of the front drive line on the 4x4. My gut instinct is telling me to go for the 2x4 and I will have much less trouble. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Triston

Old 11-27-2000, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my 00' 400 4x4 for a little over a year now. I have had no problems w/ the 4x4, but I seldom use it. I was in the same situation as you. I called around and got prices and found a place that had the 4x4 version on sale for only $200 more than the 2x4 version that was on sale also. My dad actually talked me into getting the 4x4. The only times that I use it is when I happen to get stuck or if I am fixing to shoot a hill. Its always been nice to have when I needed it. I hardly ever put myself into situations where I "have to have 4x4". I just keep things greased and maintained as the manual specifies and everything has worked great.

Mainly what will you be using it for? Sport trail riding?

EC

Old 11-27-2000, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 98 SC400 4X4 an have had no problems an have used it alot. It is a good thing to have for when thing get a little more hairy then expected. It ahs been geart to have on it an would not get one with out.

Old 11-27-2000, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a '99 Scrambler 400cc 4X4 and never had a problem with the 4 wheel drive assembly. Just follow the scheduled maintenace for greasing u-joints and change hub fluid as noted in the manual. Hub fluid often gets overlooked but is the most criticle part of the Polaris 4X4 system. I use the 4X4 system often in areas where I ride and would never buy another quad with out it. The Polaris 4X4 system works the best out of all 4X4's I have used in my personal opinion due to the ability it has to send power to the front wheel(s) that have traction and not to a wheel that has no traction or is off the ground for that matter. There is alot of creek crossings in my ridding area with steep banks and even when dry, or especially when muddy, 4X4 is needed. All in all I highly recomend the 4X4 version since the trails in your area and mine are probably similar being from Missouri

Old 11-27-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 Scrambler400 4x4. I would have never gotten just the 2x4 model. By only adding a couple hundred dollars and about 35 lbs it is well worth it. The 4x4 can go places no other sports quad can dream of.

It all depends on who you ride with. If my Scram were not a 4x4 I would have bought a Raptor. In my opinion it's the 4x4 traction option that makes it worth riding and owning. But this is only my opinion.

Good luck on whichever you choose.

Old 11-27-2000, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think the 4 wheel drive must be pretty reliable on the Scrambler. I've had no problems with mine and I've rarely seen anyone on this forum with 4x4 problems. The question though is does the type of riding you will be doing warrant 4x4. I honestly rarely have a need to use mine. I can climb just about any hill that's not slippery wet mud in just 2 wheel drive. If you're into speed only, you might not want the extra weight of the 4x4. Still I myself like having the 4x4 as an option when I need it. This weekend for instance it was rainy and wet and mud everywhere. I was just sliding all over trying to climb hills that I normally fly up in 2x4. I hit the 4x4 button and then motored on up easily. If you don't ride in mud though you may not need it.

Old 11-27-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I too have never heard of any problems with the 4x4 system up front. I only had to change the hub seals...but that is it. The 4x4 got me out of some very sticky situations!

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2000, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I rode my 97 Scrambler pretty hard this summer through some serious stuff, no problems. Click on my link below to see some of the mud and stuff we ride through here in Alaska. If I were you, I'd go ahead with the 4x4 if you can find one. Of course, it does depend on the terrain you're going to ride in. I figure since you're asking, you're planning on riding in some questionable terrain.

Old 11-28-2000, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have broken many parts on my 98 Scrambler 400 4x4. The front drive system has never given me a bit of problems. I do keep it greased up and check and change fluids fairly often .

Old 11-28-2000, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

You might have traction...but if you don't have power to use that traction
Ready for some little hillclimbing?

To answer TDBRPH, get the 4x4, it's just a little more maintenance and weight, and it's there when you need it. I wish my shee had 4x4 (no joke). Another thing, to me, the Polaris design of 4x4 (front engages when rear wheels spin) is the best (works as good as Honda or Traxter for the front diff and is simpler -there's no front diff (If I'm right), and most of all, you can shut it down when you want to have fun).
Get the 4x4! It's worth the 200$ (and 45lbs)

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 4x4 owners please respond!