Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PowerMadd handguard installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerMadd handguard installation

I would like to talk to persons who have installed PowerMadd Star series handguards on their Polaris Sportsman.

My question is where did you locate the mounting brackets, did you have to reposition any of the existing controls such as the brake lever (L side) or the front differential selector (R side) to properly position the handguards? Those with experience with these handguards where would you recommend that I locate the mounting brackets on the handlebar?

Thank you.

'06 Sportsman 500 HO

Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

PowerMadd Star series handgaurds will mount on a '06 Sportman 500 without having to relocate either the left or right hand controls. Position the mounting brackets about 1//8 inch inside the L and R control groups. The left side mount clears beneath the hydraulic resevoir. The right mount installation is no sweat. By using the large spacer the guards are flush with the end of the handlebar.

I bought this handguard for the sole purpose of having the optional mirrors. The mirrors are awesome!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

That's awesome man! Sorry no one could help ya out... Sux that most ATV parts don't come with instructions on how to install. Welcome to the forums also!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I must admit I hastely bought the polaris hand
guards for both my 450 quads. Pretty easy install
one side just took out the previous screws to brake
level mount and widened for inserting guard to it
with longer provided screws. Other side (rt) just installed
a wing out piece to existing throttle/AWD mount, no biggy!

If I may ask where would I find these PowerMadd's that have
the mirrors. And more importantly for my situation what can
I do for adding breakless circle type adhesive mirrors (kind you see
as blind-spot addition to truck mirrors) to left
hand guards? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Old 07-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well writen instructions came with the ATV mounting brackets. I asked ? 'cause I wond' if eye needed a Torx or sumptin to loosen and move controls. I worked thru instructions, photos included, (trip to town for allen wrench), and it worked out well.

I like to have a rear view mirror, keep eye 0n riding partners and vehicles. Pricy option, but glad i did it.

Black Mountain Scramble Area later today, and gonna hit the Bluffs. Maybe see ya there.

RIDE SAFE

timmy

Old 07-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased the mirror option for PowerMadd Star series handguards from Dennis Kirk. First saw them in ATV Rider (I think early summer).

A stick on concave mirror would work. Just have to have a place, bracket to mount it. That is what PowerMAdd is. Screw hole in end of handguard, attach mirror to handguard with screws provided, (4mm allen wrench, almost had to go to town again).

Old 07-23-2006, 03:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had to mount the PowerMadds upside down on my predator to get them to fit over the break and clutch levers.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I installed the mounting bracket so that it formed a very shallow 'u' extending forward of the handle bar. This allowed the left side mount to clear the bottom of brake resevoir and have room for proper brake handle operation. PowerMadd instructions say mounts may be installed in either up or down position considering your hardware as long as both the same.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yea, I'm not sure of the difference, but I have seen on allot of different bikes where the PowerMadd's seem to fit better if instead of doing the "U" under the bars, you do it over them. In fact, on some it won't go any other way without seriously impeding the ability to use the brake and clutch.

Here is a picture of how I have them mounted...both left and right are set up the same way.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

It just happened to work out perfect for my application. I installed L. handguard mounting bracket as close to outside of handlebar as the hydraulic brake res would allow (about 0.125 inch) . This placed it eight inches from end of handgrip. It worked for me. This is a Sprtman, must be Predator is different.

side note-- only two wheel vehicles should be termed bikes.

Webobber-- are motorcycle controls different than 4wheelers? are we talking apples to apples? NO. Predator left side clutch, no hydraulic resevoir as on sportsman. If it works rightside, downside, just splitting hairs.

Quick Reply: PowerMadd handguard installation