Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tb problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tb problem

i have a 2000 tb. when you are rideing it goes but has lost some of its get up and go. it acts like it is flooding out until its got about half throttle then it comes around but does not seem to open all the way up. when you give it full throtle while it is shut off it still has about a inch of play at the motor. could that be it.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tb problem

May be time for a new throttle cable.And a compression test to see if you need a fresh topend.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default tb problem

1/2 inch in the motor??? the cable is out of adjustment that far? It has that much play?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default tb problem

If you are refering to the slide on the inside of the carb, no!! It operates by vacume

Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default tb problem

clean the carb for sure-- how long has it sat?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default tb problem

it has not sat long i ride a little everyday or everyother. what should the compression be 130? i mean when you try and break the tires loose on wet pavement it just boggs down. it didn't use to do it.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default tb problem

is there any oil in your airbox?

make sure your engine oil is full before doing this: put the engine in neutral, revv the engine with the airbox lid off, air filter installed-- close to wide open throttle and look for oil coming into the airbox from the inlet line on the "driver" side of the atv (left side from a top view). If you don't get any oil blowing into the airbox--- try driving it at wide open throttle under load (driving)-- accelerate for 5-10s a few times, then check for the oil. lf you are getting oil in the airbox, the rings need replacing. If you find this is the case, do not run the machine anymore.

compression on the 500 should be 50-90psi. remember to check the compression while holding the throttle wide open

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default tb problem

Originally posted by: duffus
is there any oil in your airbox?

make sure your engine oil is full before doing this: put the engine in neutral, revv the engine with the airbox lid off, air filter installed-- close to wide open throttle and look for oil coming into the airbox from the inlet line on the "driver" side of the atv (left side from a top view). If you don't get any oil blowing into the airbox--- try driving it at wide open throttle under load (driving)-- accelerate for 5-10s a few times, then check for the oil. lf you are getting oil in the airbox, the rings need replacing. If you find this is the case, do not run the machine anymore.

compression on the 500 should be 50-90psi. remember to check the compression while holding the throttle wide open

It's a TrailBlazer. Either a 250 or 400 2 Stroke.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default tb problem

well i just pulled the air filter and blew it out with the air compresser, not to dirty. as far as oil there is none in the filter box, their was a little dampness in the boot between the carb and the air box. pulled the plug and it was burnt all black. while the plug was out i held my thumb over the hole and turned it over. it has compression because it blew my thumb away i just can't tell how much until i get a checker. i have had it atleast a year and have not replaced the plug what kind do you guys recommend? i think it just needs a tuneup.( new plug, clean filters, and clean carb)

Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default tb problem

its a 250 2 stroke.

Quick Reply: tb problem