Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tranny dry inside?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny dry inside?

Hi, I just bought a 1983 Trail Boss and am working on getting it running - the guy who sold it to me said that it had a tranny problem, shifting in and out - wont shift in if out of gear or out if in... any sugestions would be great!!

I took the plug out of the tranny and there was no liquid to be found? should there be some in there?

Old 07-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer

My brother had the same problem with his 95 SPortsman. He couldn't get it out of HI. I checked the tranny and was barely anything in it. I filled it up and worked it a little bit. Finally able to get it out of drive and into reverse. He hasn't used it much since then but this next weekend we plan on using it.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer

how much should it have in there?

do you know where to get a service manual for this old of one? I have went to polaris web site and all over the forums...

Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 AM
Trailblazer

I would check Ebay for a manual or at the dealer. As far as how much it should have it on the dipstick I believe.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mudjive,

I have a 1987 Trail Boss 250 4x4. You indicated yours was a 1983 TB but my undersatnding is that the first year of the trail boss is 1985. If it is a 1985 or newer ( I can tell you where to look for the model no of which the first two numbers are the year of the vehicle) the transmission has a dipstick with typical full and add on it. The service manual says to use sae 30w in the trans. Also if an 85 or newer I can tell you where to get service manuals.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

the guy I bought it from told me it was an 83 and after some frustration and digging I found the model number W867627... wich would tell me it is an 86. and would explain why I cant find anything [parts] for an 83. so where would i get a good service manual.... lol

Old 07-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

bigbuckrack.com has the factory service manual and the parts manual on one cd. I bought mine there. repairmanuals.net also has a polaris factory 1985-1995 atv and light hauler service manual available but it is far more expensive and since it covers ten years I did not think it was as good. Did you find the tranny plug/dipstaick on the right hand side of the tranny???

Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I dont see the dipstip... maybe i am a dipstick, but I dont see it. I am going to order the manuals online and get going on this thing. cause I have a bunch more questions.

thanks for your help!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

The "dipstick" is located on the right side of the tranny (your right as you are sitting on it). It is an hex head toward the bottom below the brake caliper at an angle (looks like the head of a bolt). The dipstick is a short rod attached to that with two marks in it but no add or full words inscribed. If you have to replace the front struts do not buy any aftermarket, such as kimpex, that claims to be the right one because the 85-88 strut is unique and comes with the shock, tube and attachment all in one. I am replacing mine and to my knowledge you must replace it with the Polaris unit. FYI.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

that is what I pulled to look inside and there isnt a rod on the end, it dont look like there ever was [like it broke off] - but when you look in there she's bone dry... and I put a nail in there to see if I could get liquid on it and nothing...

Quick Reply: Tranny dry inside?