Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Melting plastis 2006 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melting plastis 2006 500

I had the infamous "exhaust so hot it melts the plastic issue" on my '06 X2, but resolved it thanks to DSLKSL's recommendation in another thread. I utilized DEI brand header wrap, stainless steel ties, silcone heat spray, and reflective tape to implement a complete heat reduction/control protocol. Time consuming to do it right, but I followed all the instructions faithfully. Bottom line, it works GREAT! I'll report back to the group on how it continues to work...

Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

thats agood idea but what is going to happen to the header tape when you get it wet?? that material is not suppose to get wet and when it does it will rust out your header over time.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yah, I hear ya. I used their silicon spray product on both the pipe and the wrap to add insulation AND seal them. I mean, I really, really did it right; multiple coats on both the pipe and the wrap... It's not perfect, I'm sure I'll end up adding additional overcoat as time goes by, but the total cost of a viable solution (at least for my bike the way I ride it...) was only $60. I'd think that the hot exhaust pipe would dry the wrap out pretty quick anyway, wouldn't it?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

you would think it would dry it's self out with the heat, I was told not to use it in places where it was going to get wet thats why I didn't use it I bought thermo tec reflectivealuminized heat barrier material realy thick self adhesive (sheet product) from summit racing. I put it on the fender plastic to reflect the heat seem to help more than what polaris puts on from the factory still think I want to ceramic coat the header like alot of poeple have been doing on this site need to find out where to do it and find out how efetive it really is seems like a great idea.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yah, adding LOTS of extra heat reflective tape was part of the protocol I used as well. I added it wherever Polaris missed, and then some. I even taped the frame to cut down on heat getting to the plastic seat via that route...

Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Range Rover

I think the diamond plate heat shields that I fabricated made the biggest difference. I'll be back home in 2 weeks and the quads are scheduled in for the new flash and new plastics finally. I will let you all know what becomes of it.
Oh yeah, the first time that mine melted down, the dealer had wrapped the pipe with header tape and put a ton of the reflective tape on, but it still melted down again, so i fixed it myself until they had the real fix out.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Let's talk about the firmware version they install to help resolve the problem... Anybody know what rev it is? I'm told my bike has it, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 05 500ho that had the same problem. Plastic was replaced with seat after warranty and a metal tab installed to push the plastic out from the pipe.
I looked at the problem and found it to be that the mounting tab just behind the problem area on the frame is on backwards. If it were cut off and welded on in the opsite position, it would move the hot pipe back a good half inch which is twice what it has now with the cheesy metal tab they installed. It looks like someone cut it out of a pop can with snips and drilled a couple of holes (off center too) for a couple of the plastic rivets. Very amaturish fix in my opnion. And not a fix at all as the plastic on my quad still got too hot for my comfort, so I took a tire iron and pryed the above mentioned bracket back which in turn pulled the hot pipe back from the plastic. The two "fixes" together seem livable.
I can't believe the engineers at popo can't see the problem with the pipe hanger.

Oh yeah, the "fix" from the shop left the plastic misaligned and sticking out on that side. Cheesy!!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Could someone post some pics on where in route seems to be the problem areas with the
heat. Then show the stock tape lines and your improvements. I have the 2008 Polaris SP800 and
looking underneath I see where they added more protection then my cousins 2006 SP800 but
doesn't mean its still satisfactory. I do feel the heat coming up the seat and on the top of my
legs on the sides. I am concerned that running at long lengths it would melt my seat or something else..OUCH!

Thanks and a good thread!

Also, DadVan could you post the link to that thread on the home-made fix for added protection? Much obliged my friend!

Peace out,

R'

Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

R,
If the dates are correct on this thread it's over 2 years old...DadVan hasn't visited this site since Sept. of '06 so I'm not sure you'll hear from him......Just a heads up for ya.....

John

Quick Reply: Melting plastis 2006 500