Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Not just another my quads faster that your quad post

Old 12-03-2000, 10:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK maybe it is

First let me preface this by saying that I have never made a post of this nature before and may never again. Second I am 36 years old and have never had a four wheeler or bike of any kind until 3 months ago. Third nobody has asked me to race since I was 18 and driving a 1972 Ford Torino. Ok here is the story. I was riding in the woods by my house having a great time with some friends and our kids. Some other regulars show up and one is riding a Honda 400ex (with pipe and k&n air filter). He notices that I have done some mods due to the sound of the new pipe (HPD Trail pipe, HPD Roller Clutch with springs all around with wieghts). He ask me if I would be interested in drag racing. I knew my Scrambler was a differant machine now due to the mods so I took him up on his offer. He is a very good rider as I have watched him alot in trying to learn how to ride better myself. I am expecting to get beat badly but what the heck I am new to this stuff so I have an excuse. We line up in a corn field I lean forward count to three and hit it. I never saw him until I let off the gas at the end of the corn field. He came up to me and said that he missed a gear and wanted to try again. We line up he counts to 3 and we hit it. Same result. I am not saying anything other than that day at that time in those conditions I kicked his BUTT. The others that were watching could not beleive what they seen. The other rider was in disbelief. He felt compelled to tell me about all of the other mods that he was going to do around Christmas. I do not like reading all of this mine is bigger than yours stuff but I must admint that this was a BLAST. We will be talking about this around the block for quite a while.

KD

Not your fathers polaris anymore

Old 12-03-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well, at least we Polaris guys will never have to re-race because of a missed gear! Its all in fun though. I like well mannered races with other people, even if I know I will lose, it is still fun trying.
You will have to race again after christmas and lets us know the results.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Same thing happened to me today also. Whenever I race my buddy's Banshee I get the holeshot for about 150+ feet and then he passes me. Same thing every time except for in the sand where it's pretty even due to traction.

Today I lept off to a great lead all the way to the end. Never even saw him...or heard him! I thought to myself: "Impossible!? Didn't even hear his Shee shreeking behind me..." Yes he missed a gear and the proof is that his shifter is messed up and under repair this week.(good excuse)

I would so love to meet up with a 400ex and show em' what a modded Scrambler can do! Maybe next time. Keeping up with the fastest production quad (Banshee, till he hits higher gears) is good enough for me...for now!

Old 12-03-2000, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

KD, you can take it as you wish, but the "EXACT" same thing happened to me about 2 months ago.......except it was on the road in front of a good buddies house and it was against a butthole who is one of these "honda is Gods greatest creation and nothing else exists" kinda guys. Same outcome.

Personally, I like'em all. The quads that is....not the attitudes!

EC

Old 12-04-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Stock to stock the scrambler can beat the 400ex in a drag.
The race you had only proves that your old out dated polaris can still beat these new "high performance race quads".

LONG LIVE POLARIS!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-04-2000, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

That's normal.
Xplor's scram leaves me like stopped at the "beginning" of all our drag races. I catch him in 3rd (when I pass him, I'm really faster). Looks like the belt drive gives awesome traction...but lacks some top speed.
Yesterday, we wanted to drag race a 400EX and leave him in the dust, but when we saw one (actually two), my gearbox was already gone...too bad.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

A bit faster Zorro... I'd say by 5 to 7 mph...

Wait till we ride along side the Jeep to be sure.

Old 12-04-2000, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

hi Kevin, read your post and am still laughin. Im a 40 yr old scrambler owner, and like you usualy just put around with friends, hit the mud holes from time to time, woods ,trails...stuff like that. This past summer at a local riding place theres the mix of riders & rides, young kids rippin around, you know.My buddy stops to talk to some of them and flags me down saying this kids dying to race me (400 ex) I tell him Im just out puttin but he dosn't let up....long story short I couldnt believe I beat em, (by that much! ) I heard so much about how fast those quads were. Now Im sure mine is not the fastest out there, and I honestly dont care (no offense to those that do) but as I told that young guy dont worry about it , afterall who do you ride for, yourself or others. See ya on the trails Bob

Old 12-07-2000, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

Hi N.Y.Scrambler

I just want to point one thing out. I am NOT 40 years old YET....

I still like riding fast and aggressive. I try not to putt around too much..

Just kidding around

KD

Old 12-09-2000, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

I raced a 400ex with my 500 scrambler when we were both stock and he beat me every time. I added a cluth kit, k&n filter, fmf pipe and jetting. NOW I beat him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not just another my quads faster that your quad post