Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Finaly Got It!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finaly Got It!

Hey guys I finaly picked up my bike today after a long week of waiting. 2002 Scrambler 400 4x4. I only was able to ride it for mabye 4 or 5 minutes because my son is sick and my mom had to get going so she wouldn't watch him anymore lol. But my question is how good are the DG pipes on these that is what it came with? Also how relaible is the four wheel drive system on them? I wasn't realy able to test to see if the 4x4 was working properly. The front axles look pretty good and everything looks and feels solid. If I jack the bike up on all fours and start here up and put it in 4x4 will all 4 spin or will just the back two because its not sensing it slipping? Thanks for any input or help provided it is greatly apprecaited.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Finaly Got It!

Bumb no ideas guys?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Finaly Got It!

all 4 tires will spin if you jack it up. the fronts should engage almost instantly since the back will be "spinning" and the fronts will be stationary.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default Finaly Got It!

llright cool ill have to try that out

Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default Finaly Got It!

Well jacked it up off of all fours and the fronts are not engaging at all. I don't even no were to begin to figure out what the problem could be. The axles seem very tight with no play and everything looks solid. The little AWD light under the switch is lighting up to. Im pretty lost here i guess i have to go get a repair manual. Kinda sucks I was all lookin foward to the 4x4

Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Finaly Got It!

do you not think maybe that it is working but the rear wheels need to have a load on them or maybe the fronts..? no.? i checked my engagement of the front wheels when i purposely floored it and spun the rear wheels and saw the front wheels catch and grab the ground and wanting to spin also........lifting it off the ground like recommended is like riding it normally with out spiinning the rear wheels as in a real world situation you spin the rear wheels and they loose traction and the front wheels engage.......................thats what i did and satisfied my curiosity of the 4x4 activation of the front wheels.............they engage when the rear wheels slip.......................i believe under load..............not when they are turning spinning normally............but thats just my view..................try it out though...........floor it on loose dirt......gravel while fish tailing and if they are working correcting the fronts will engage...............some rear differential to trucks (pick-ups) do this...................i believe they are called limited slip diffentials nanny skirts............? where if one rear wheel looses traction the other wheel grabs...............

Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Finaly Got It!

The way the computer knows that the rear is slipping is from speed sensor readings. When the speed of the rear axle exceeds that of the front, it should then engage the front wheel drive. It shouldn't make a difference if there is a load or not.

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default Finaly Got It!

I sure do hope so, as of right now though im not sure. I mean my AWD light is coming on even when i put it in reverse it goes off and then when i push overdrive it pops back on like it should. Ill just have to wait and see I guess.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Finaly Got It!

here's a quote directly from my owners manual.......................when in AWD, the front hubs will automatically engage anytime the rear wheels lose traction. when the rear wheels regain traction, the front hubs will automatically disengage............

there is no limit to the lenth of time the vehicle may remain in AWD.

the AWD switch may be turned on or off while the vehicle is moving..........initially, the vehicle's electronic system will not enable the AWD until the engine rpm is below 3100. once enable, the AWD remains enabled until the AWD switch is turned off. if the switch is turned off while the frontt hubs are moving, the hubs will not disengage until the rear wheels regain traction........

engage the AWD switch before getting into conditions where front wheel drive maybe needed. if the rear wheels are spinning, release the throttle before switching to all wheel drive.............

CAUTION........! switching to AWD while the rear wheels are spinning may cause severe drive shaft and hub damage. always switch to AWD while the rear wheels have traction or are at rest.............

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Finaly Got It!

PGTDriver,

Just for your information the DG pipes are junk when it comes to polaris. You will actually lose hp when useing one. Get a good pipe like hpd, aaen, ritter cycle and clutch it to match. It will be a whole new bike. You have to clutch it to match the power band of the pipe. You cant match the DG pipe because there is not much of a power band and the company does not even know where the powerband kicks in at. The 400 has tons of power. It just needs to breath to feel it.

Quick Reply: Finaly Got It!