Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Warranty Valid ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading through my Sportsman owner's manual last night, checking out maintenance schedules. I just happened to come across the warranty information in the back. I can't remember the exact wording now, but it said something to the effect if you don't take and pass a dealer safety training course, your warranty is not valid.

Six months is a pretty poor warranty to begin with, but to add this notation is too much. I'm of the opinion that Polaris has gone way overboard with safety. And thirty-some pages in the manual on safety and warning labels is excessive. Plus, I spent a long time removing all those obscene warning stickers from my Sportsman!!

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else read this, or has had any warranty problems because of it? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you removed the warning decals you already voided your warrenty. And yes to have a valid warrenty you need that little 1/2 hr class from the dealer. you can get replacment decals for free from polaris if you want.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought my Sport, in order to activate the warranty, I had to watch a seventeen minute safety video (which I got to keep), and then go into the parking lot and show the salesman that I was capable of stopping, turning, and going in reverse. I think that is a lot better than selling a sixteen year old kid a Raptor, patting him on the back, and telling him thanks for his business.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Had the same experience as the Quadfather. Had to watch a safety video, and drive a little obstacle course to show I could drive the thing safely. Seems ridiculous for someone who drove ATVs for 10 years, but if it keeps some kid from hurting himself or someone else, it is worth it.

Old 12-05-2000, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

The safety class was no big deal. I would suggest you take it, if nothing else to meet other riders in your area. You get some info on new riding area.

The class was ok, didn't do much for me skill wise but it really helped my wife. Got to keep the women happy.

"Liability" is the reason for the stickers on you quad. To many lawyers in the world ready & waiting to sue somebody.

Old 12-05-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

oops forgot something.

The six months warrenty is weak when compared to other big boy toys. Watercraft & sleds have a standard 1 year warrenty.

I believe the we quad riders are harder on our toys than the PWC or sledheads. Although some sledheads are pretty radical............

Old 12-05-2000, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses. They got me thinking, so I just called my salesman. He dug out my file, and told me he had paperwork in it that said I passed my safety course. He confirmed that my warranty was valid also.

He thinks this is bunch of crap also, and says they usually "take care" of this, unless someone REALLY wants to take the course.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

so how do u take a safty class if u buy a sled or PWC?? the polaris one is soo easy, cause my dealership does it in the parking lot and thers no challenge to that.

later
jon

Old 12-05-2000, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

No safety class for sled or PWC. Their standard warrenty is 1 year not 6 months like quads.

Although after owning PWC & riding sleds maybe a safety class is not a bad idea.

Old 12-05-2000, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought my Yamaha, I got $100 cash to go to a local field and take a one hour riding class. I wish I could make $100 every time I rode it.

Quick Reply: Polaris Warranty Valid ?