Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris lubrication-how often??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys please help me out. bought my first polaris a month ago, '01 h.o. book says lube every 50 hours, dealer said every 20 hours. i do a lot of wet/mud riding and or fast trail riding.what should i do?

Old 12-06-2000, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

grease is cheaper than bearings!!! it also pushes out any water that may enter the fittings and bearings. i lube my 00 scr 400 after every wet ride.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Since I love to tinker out in the garage whenever possible, I grease(and wash) mine every week, unless I haven't been riding it. You'd be suprised how much water comes out of what, especially in the summer when you only go through one or two puddles. Be sure to check all your fluid levels, too. The tranny on my 00 TBlazer was empty the first time I checked it, and it was a couple months old. Luckily, no damage was done, just some burnt looking sludge and oil on the drain plug and dipstick. So I run some new fluid through there, then filled it up , and haven't had a problem with it. My wheeler musta been assembled on a monday or friday, that's why it was overlooked, probably. One of my friends bought a TBlazer a month or two before me, and no one ever greased the rear bearings on his, and luckily they burnt up before the warranty expired. So make sure you check everything before too long. (I bought mine from Richard's up here in lincoln, so kick yourself in the *** if you did too, by some wierd twist of fate).

Old 12-06-2000, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

i grease my HO every other time i ride it and you would be amazed how much stuff it pushes out.grease it often it ceap insurance

Old 12-06-2000, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I grease mine after every second or third ride, unless I get into water a foot deep or so, then I grease it every time.

When the weather is warmer, I love to ride in the water after a good mud bath. And the beauty is, that the new waterproofing really works.

Dave

Old 12-06-2000, 08:33 PM
jam
Weekend Warrior

are grease fittings better than the maitainence free on other brands?

Old 12-06-2000, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

It is if you deep mud - lets you push out any moisture, and push in fresh grease.
If all you do is trail ride, no big deal either way.
I prefer zerks myself, because even though it is a hassle, I know I will do it, and I know exactly how much grease is going where. Sealed units are subject to how well they were greased the first time.

Old 12-06-2000, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I use the Fram filter on my Sportsman, and change oil and filter every 30-50 hours. I don't follow a regular schedule, just change it if the dipstick "looks" darker than when I changed it last. Grease them zerks alot and she'll ride smooth and sweet a long time.

Old 12-06-2000, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I grease my after every other hard ride.
but let me ask something?
Polaris say to use there grease so what do you think? and what about there motor oil and other oils?

00 sportsman 500
thanks

Old 12-06-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I use their synthetic oils, but use high-temp marine-grade grease, just because it seems stickier and only a couple bucks at wal-mart. It's by the fishing and boating stuff.

Quick Reply: polaris lubrication-how often??