Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brighter headlight bulbs???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With winter coming, my only chances to ride is going to be at night for quite awhile. Even with all 3 headlights going on my 00' SP500 at once, I still would like to have more candlepower lighting the way. I'm not too interested in taking the time to wire on a new set of lights, so I was hoping that someone out there has had some experience with those new light bulbs that come on higher-end vehicles. I've ridden in a car with those, and the difference is amazing. I know that those are more sophisticated than simply a different bulb, but is there anything I can add to my SP500 that will make a noticable difference?If so, where could I get my hands on these bulbs if they exist? TIA

Scott

Old 12-08-2000, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I replaced my stock bulbs on my polaris with the cool blue bulbs from autozone. They really make quite a bit of difference. I think I am going to add some high power driving light to it so I can definetely see everything just like daylight.

Old 12-08-2000, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are talking about the lights you see on the Acura,Mercedes,BMW That have a blue tint to them, forget it. Those are what you call hid lights and are a different system altogether. I asked someone at the local speed shop and was quoted $2000 Canadian for a complete system. Your best solution would be to install a 100watt H-4 halogen bulb in place of the 60watt in the pod.

Old 12-08-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

If you are interesested in this email me, I just ordered a cool colors gold tinted 60/55 halogen light from denniskirk, for my blaster, got it and realized I ordered the wrong one, It dosent even take halogens!.

Old 12-08-2000, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Arc, This is somthing that I posted last year. There are a few diffrent H-4 bulbs made by diffrent companies for the Pod headlight on Polaris machines. I have a Magnum 500 ,I replaced the bulb with a Wagner part #BP1213H4, this is a 120 watt bulb which is extremly bright. There are disclaimers and warnings on the package that it is for off road use only and to not look directly at it while it is on. It is also illegal to use in Europe. It is bright. I was concerned about its affect on my charging system and possibly heat damaging the lens of the light pod. I have run it nearly 2 years now with all 3 lights together and have had no problems. It is one of the best cheap modifications I have ever done to a Quad.
By the way I got the bulb ordered through a local NAPA Parts store.

Old 12-08-2000, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Would one of those things work on a T-Blazer?Also is there anyway to rig up a hi-low switch for the t-blazer?

Old 12-09-2000, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

The new lights you see on da pimped out cars are called Xenon lights. Dennis Kirk has em on page 223 in their catalog. They are $11-19.

Old 12-09-2000, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I like Kagey's solution, 120 watts wow!
I replaced my headlamp bulb with a snowmobile bulb, which is a 100-watt. Much more light than the standard 60 w but no competition for the 120 w.

Old 12-09-2000, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

I’ve tried 3 different aftermarket bulbs in place of the H4 pod light on Polaris. The first was a 100 watt bulb ($10). That threw a lot of light but with hand grips and thumb warmers running at the same time I felt there was too much current draw. It also got the lens housing so hot that it cracked ($45). Next I tried the Hella +30 H4 ($15). That’s a 55 watt bulb that is supposed to be 30% brighter with the same current draw as stock. I really didn’t notice much difference. Now I’m running an H4 made by PIA that has a 55 watt current draw but is supposed to be equivalent to the light thrown by a 100 watt bulb ($43). It definitely throws more light but it’s pretty pricey for what you get out of it.

I’ve looked at replacing the stock (27 watt) low beam bulbs with 55 watt bulbs but nothing I’ve found matches up. I know at least one contributor to this forum who replaced the entire low beam lights with aftermarket 55 watt driving lights mounted to the bumper. I’m reluctant to do this because the stock low beams are fairly well designed to keep moisture out and their side mount allows them to swing away if they take a hit by a branch. These are both advantages in the deep water and brush bustin’ we do.

I did try some “ATV lights” once sold by Cabela’s ($70) that I mounted between the bumper tubes on my last RSE. They were worthless. Not only was the amount of light they threw insignificant but they were a wasted drain on the charging system and didn’t hold up to our trail conditions.

We’re running halogen tail light bulbs in both our machines right now and they are bright ($9). One burned out after the first ride. I replaced it hoping it was just a bad bulb. If another burns out soon I’ll be putting the old 1157s back in.

Old 12-09-2000, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

THE BULB IN THE HEADLIGHT POD HAS HI AND LO BEAM
A THREE PRONG CONNECTION. POLARIS ONLY USE THE HI
SIDE OF THE BULB SO IF YOU GET THE 120 W. BULB
YOU CAN HOOK IT UP. IF YOU WANT TO USE YOU 60 W.
BULB JUST WIRE UP THE 3TH CONNECTION TO THE LO OR HI WIRE.

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight bulbs???