Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Moose or Glacier Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moose or Glacier Plow?

I need to purchase a plow for my SP800. Just wondering if anyone has any preferences or thoughts as to which plow system is most durable. I've heard the Moose plow systems are very heavy duty when compared to the Glacier. Has anyone had both for which you can offer a solid opinion? I've also heard the new Glacier II is a lighter weight setup when compared to the Glacier I. Both the Moose and Glacier are about the same price...so I'm looking for the most durable between the two.

-----------------------------------
'05 Sportsman 800

Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, I just bought the 60" straight Moose plow for my SP500 EFI and it was over $100 cheaper than the comparable Glacier setup. That's a savings of about 25%.... Can anyone say 'huge markup'?

(The Moose is supposed to be better too!)

Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

How much snow do you get?? and is it a large area your plowing? I plow well over a 1/4 mile on my property and have the 60" glacier plow. As winter progresses i find that the snow starts to build up alot on the sides, with that being said if i were to buy a new plow i would get something with more height on the sides (imo). I hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both and the polaris Glacier is ALOT easier with the quick mount system. The Moose is more durable but come on it's not neccessary. Not sure how easy the moose mounts on a polaris as mine was on a Suzuki but I had to take the mount on/off.(It was a pain) I love the Glacier system so I would go with the Glacier.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did a ton of research last year and ended up with a Warn. I love it. very heavy duty and easy to put on and take off. Also a good price.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Most durable = Moose.(IMO)

I beat the crap out of mine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 AM
TTP
Range Rover

I am going to pick-up a Glacier II system soon.
One of the reasons is the quick mount set-up.
With the cold weather we get, I certainly don't want to spend too much time
trying to hook it up.
The Glacier system would be much more convenient.

Sure could use one immediately as we just got dumped on with snow!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

Just assembled and installed my Moose the other night. Once I had the mount plate installed and the push bars attached to the blade, it took about 1 minute to attach the blade assembly to the mount plate.

You line up the holes in the push bars with the holes in the mount plate. Install the hitch pin. Then walk around to the other side and repeat. While holding the push bar up, I'd use my foot to either push or pull the blade to get the holes to line up. Then I'd use the free hand to insert the hitch pin.

Like I said, it took 1 minute....

Old 11-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have owned both plow systems.

The Moose is MUCH heavier duty. The blade is thicker and heavier than the Glacier and does a MUCH better scraping down to the black top. The Moose out-performs the Glacier hands down. The Glacier is a nice garden-tractor style while the Moose is the real deal! With the Moose you can SLAM curbs and frozen snowbanks and never have to wonder if you bent, broke, or snapped anything. It is top-grade heavy-duty everything!!

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!! I do not like laying on my back, wiggling the blade back and forth trying to align the holes to mount the Moose. It's a REAL PITA!

Therefore, I gave the Glacier a shot! And I like it. It gets the job done just fine. It's no Moose by any means, but it does a good job........and DAMN is that easy to install! LOL!

My vote is for another Glacier.

Also, I tried 2 different blades on the Glacier- the 60' straight blade, and the 60" Razor. without a DOUBT go with the RAZOR BLADE. It's heavier ( kinda reminds me of the old Moose) and does a MUCH better job scraping hard-pack or heavy snow. Also it's a taller blade.

Sorry to be so wordy but I take my snow-plowing VERY seriously and NEED reliability and durability. I plow just over 100 miles per Winter.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

I have a glacier and have no problems very easy to hook up my wife can do it. works great the moose blade is made out of thicker steel just not as easy to put on. my two cents..

Quick Reply: Moose or Glacier Plow?