Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4x4 not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today while riding in the snow i hit the 4x4 button and when it engaged the left front will didn't engage.....the right did but the left didn't...does anyone know what is wrong with it....it is now like all other 4x4's and 3x4 drive machine instead of the true 4x4 drive like the polaris it should be...the polaris is a 94 400l 4x4 in great condition...this is the only prob. we have ever had with it.....help me please....it is needed to do chores and take me riding this weekend...........thank you to all who reply with HELPFUL information and not bashing bull............

Old 12-11-2000, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

The magnets can connect that the that wheel is probly dirty,if you can take it apart and clean or replace them.Maybe somebody in these forum has done these job and can explain how,good luck!

Old 12-11-2000, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer

skikke.. I noticed the same thing happened to me today on my 01 Scambler 500 (twice in fact). I just went in reverse a couple feet and then forward and it engaged. I do not know why it happened but I will be looking in to it today. I will keep you posted.

Old 12-11-2000, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

Look at the wires going to the coil in the hub. My 89 Trail Boss and a friends 93 Trail Boss both had broken wires on them this summer. If thats the problem you can soder them back togethor.

Old 12-11-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Replace the hub oil with Mobil 1 ATF synthetic oil. I got this tip on the forum, and it fixxed my buddies hub problems.

Old 12-11-2000, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

i have gone in reverse for up to 50 feet and the wheel has still not engaged....i'll clean the hub...tire...and magnets tomorrow and see if that works...i'm changing the oil in both hubs..next month....every 6 months thanks for all the help and info....i hope it all works...

Old 12-11-2000, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Somthing to note, there are no magnets in the hub. Just a coil, that when given 12v forms a magnetic field. the coil is covered by a steel sleeve, (much like a bearing race)the sleeve has a tight tolerence to the armeture plate whitch is connected to the "Hillard clutch", the coil puts a drag on the plate and causes the clutch to ramp out the rollers and turn the hub. When your inside the hub, I would pull the bearings and look at the wear markes on the plate. A worn plate and dirt in the hub are the biggest culprets of hub problems. Make sure the tabs on the plate get back into the clutch holes as you re assemble. This entire proceedure can be done in 20 mins. (per side)

Old 12-12-2000, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

Some good suggestions, I did see one with several thousand miles on it have the plate inside the hub that transfered power to the wheel, freewheel in the hub. The mechanic had seen this before but not often. The only remedy is a different hub that he had laying around off a wreck. Since yours is a '94 this probably isn't the problem, most likely wires, or what seacow said. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2000, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't take it entirely apart just yet. I've spent 40 hrs. working on my '99 SP then found that the current(14 volts) going to the hubs wasn't "circulating properly".... In Short: the current to the magnetic coils must "circulate" in order to create the "magnetic" field required that engages the hubs. I built a jumper(from a battery charger) to the harness(Hubs) and 4X4 still didn't work. Since you have one front hub working. You would most likely hear something unusual if there was something mechanically wrong. SWITCH (left and right hub) the electric going to the hubs, then if the SAME hub still works, it could be mechanical. The following is how I fixed my ELECTRICAL problem on my SP..........
To Test, Put your wheeler on stands; then unplug,(HUB PLUG IN's) and make an extention (from another Polaris 4x4) and check the "circulation" on your hubs. This Could save some hassle. My 4x4 problem was the SPEEDO was bad! I jumped around the speedo and it works great. PS (Works on the newer Polaris' with digital SPEEDO.) Ride'em hard Polecat

Old 12-13-2000, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

i was having an dis-engagement problem opn my scrambler. it would be in 2 wheel drive and then hit the throttle and BAM one of my wheels would engage hard!! i took them apart looked it over and nothing seemed wrong. then my dad got mad as hell cuz his new truck was sitting out while i used his garage so i had to put it back together in a hurry. all i did wa sreplace hub and gear oil and now the problem is solved. sometimes one wheel with stay engaged but back up a few feet and it is fine.
ride on

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working properly