Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rebuilding Top End On 400 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Top End On 400 Sport

Just wondering where/what brand you guys trust for your top end rebuilds ? I am going to need a piston over .040 . I hope this is possible on the 400 . Also, what brand of gaskets,seals,bearings etc . I know I need a top end but after I disassemble the top end I might have to go deeper . This is why I am asking about the bearings and seals.
This is my first Polaris rebuild but it looks like it will be easier than the other motorcycle rebuilds as I won't have to deal with a gearbox.
Also, baing a two stroke ,that makes it hopefully easier.

Any info . you guys might have pre or post rebuild would greatly be appreciated.

Also, I have heard about a girdle kit , what does this actually do and is it worth it ?

Thanks,
D.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

I would recomend a Wiseco piston kit(comes with fordged piston,wrist pin,rings,and cir-clips) they also have gasket kits but I would only use them if it's a stock machine.(no perfomance mods,bored oversize is ok)

If it has mods go with the factory gaskets they will hold up better.

Go with the factory seals and bearings there are some replacements out there, but whats a couple bucks now compared to doing it twice in the long run.

If there was any piston brakeage, noise or any hint of a problem in the lower end REBUILD IT NOW.
Little cost now, complete rebuild AGAIN later....plus you have peace of mind.

As to the girdle kit, it is for the top level high performace motors.
They produce so much power that the cyl mounts can't hold up and brake off....but that's at 70 plus hp, stock is 37 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well put, Mr big. Ditto on the parts. Now do your engine work with RCR, Rick will take you thru the process without a hitch. Visit www.rittercycle.com Doc

Old 12-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO on the Wiesco piston and factory gaskets.You can bore these up to .080.Be sure to replace the piston pin bearing and if you pull the engine out replace the waterpump seals(inspect counter balance shaft for grooves and either replace or have RcR rebuild it if it is grooved)If your cylinder hasnt been ported yet have it ported by either RcR or Bubba.If you have a DG exhaust system ditch it and go with a main streem Polaris system with matching clutch kit.(this may seem extreem but well worth the added expense in the final result)Again RcR can help you if you call him and tell him what you are wanting out of this machine.BTW get a Clymer manual and a Polaris factory manual.Clymer has better pics and Polaris has better discriptions.
Happy Modding (THESE ARE FUN,ADDICTIVE TOYS)

Old 12-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Found out I am going to need a new piston ,bore job etc. Another thing I noticed is that it has a Boyesen Rad valve in it and the reeds are shot . I can't seem to find any place that has only the reeds . Anyone know ?
Thanks,
D.

BTW: The head was loose and that is why the compression was loose and it was leaking antifreeze .

Old 12-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

How about these pistons ? Has anyone here used these ? Any pluses or minuses ? It will either be a Wiseco or this .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
D.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

I can find the reeds for you - no problem .

I have all the parts too , stick with a Wiseco piston , for the 400L engine it is the one to use .

Call my direct line at 618-644-3211 and I will get accuratte pricing to you in person .

https://atvconnection.com/Department...der-Boring.cfm <---- check us out !

And just so ya know , I know what a Sherpa T 350 is , I had a couple Alpina'a myself a 250 and a 350 .

Trending Topics

Old 12-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks so much ,
Can you PM me with the price of the replacement reeds , wiseco .040 over piston kit, genuine polaris top end gasket set ?
I hate to bother you on Christmas on the phone . But, if you happen to get this message just PM me . Otherwise I hate to bother you today.
Thanks,
D.

BTW: I still hate a 78' Sherpa T-350

Old 12-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definately do a wiseco its hard to beat ricks prices im sure you could though if your times not worth much to ya.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Got the whole engine pulled out . Found there to be oil in the antifreeze in the lower radiator hose .What does this mean ? Water pump seals are out ? I think it is from the counterbalance oil . Is this possible ? Now what should I check besides the waterpump while I am in there ?
Thanks,
D.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Top End On 400 Sport