Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Cyclone...??? before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Cyclone...??? before I buy

I have found a 1987 Polaris Cyclone that I may consider buying. I haven't seen it yet, but I think it can be bought for around $500. The owner states that it is hard to start and needs the carb cleaned. From the pictures I've seen, the tires and everything else looks good, so the real question is the starting issue.

I would guess the starting issue is either the carb is gummed up (proabab;y never been opened), or it needs the top end freshened up. I plan to take a compression gauge with me when I inspect the quad. What kind of reading should I expect to see? What it is the lowest value that is acceptable before I should think it needs a top end?

In terms of repairs, if the compression is good (fair), how much will the parts cost for a carb rebuild? I'm guessing a gasket, o-rings, bypass valves, needle, and seat. Does that sound right? Is this a Keihin or Mikuni carb? I've rebuilt Mikuni's (Super BN) before on my Polaris 780 PWC, so tearing one down is no big deal, just give me a manual and I'm off to the races.

If the cylinder is tired, I'm thinking about $125 to hone/bore and get a new piston kit. Does this sound right?

If this quad does need a top end, is $500 too much? If so, what would be a reasonable offer?

Thanks,
KJ

Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may as well plan on a topend job.Piston kit is around $115 bore job $45.The carb shouldnt need more than taking it aprt and cleaning the jets.Maybe a new needle valve and bowl gasket.THat should run about $40.If you can get the Cyclone for $500 and have it in shape for less than a grand you will be ok.This is one of the most sought after Polaris.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked out Rick Ritter Racing for the cylinder parts. His web site says $35 for cylinder job and $90 for a Wiseco piston. Is that a decent deal?

Also, do you have any info on the brand of carb so I can shop for parts?

KJ

Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick wont do you wrong

THe carb is a mikkuni

Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool, thanks for the carb info. This carb can't be too different from the Mikuni SBN's in my Polaris PWC, so I should be able to run through it pretty quick. I'll plan on a new needle and seat and bowl gasket just to be on the safe side and prevent the motor from loading up.

I'm hopeful it won't need a top end kit, but it's not that big of an expense to get everything running right.

I'll contact Rick and see what he can do to get me set up.

KJ

Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Range Rover

I had two Cyclones, one that ran and one for parts, for a couple years. Very cool old atv. Just know that many off the components are getting hard or imposible to find. Not saying not to buy it, but if it needs lots of other work, besides the motor, it may not be worth it. The motor has all the parts still availible.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of compression I should get on this 250 2-smoke?

I may finally have a chance to go see the quad this weekend and I definitely want to test the compression before I talk price with the owner. If the motor needs a top end kit, I want to bargain that into a price. If I'm not careful, the cost of this toy could escalate, and that won't make the wife unit (or myself) happy. So, if it's going to take $200 (top end plus carb kit) to get this thing running well, I need to negotiate that into the price!

Thanks,
KJ

Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

Do the test with the throttle open. Anything over 100 #s is OK and over 110 is good.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

That sounds about right. The 780 triple in my polaris PWC has around 118 psi per hole.

Things have been crazy around the house and I wasn't able to go see it this weekend. There just isn't enough time in a day to accomplish everything!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 1987 Cyclone can be a pretty good quad. Most get a very bad rep as they can easily shatter or hole their piston if you dont follow some simple steps. First they got 32hp from the 22hp 250cc trailboss motor by giving it a nice port job, increased the exhaust size and the carb, and advanced the timing and increased the rev limit on the CDI box from 6K to 7K. Now that came at a price. First you must use 89 or higher octane gas, 87 will hole a piston pretty darn fast if you pin the throttle. Second, if you ever rebuild it use a Wiseco forged piston set, they are also famous for breaking the front skirt on the piston at 7K rpm. Lastly use a high quality synthetic injector oil like Amsoil or the Polaris synthetic injector oil. This fuji motor is moving about 1K faster than it should and it needs any help it can get. Oh and also they didnt build only 500 of these quads, it was at least 1,000 according to my source at Polaris, but they didnt sell well against the 250R quads from Kawasaki and Honda which are much faster so they were dropped (+ plus the reliability issues).

If you need any info other than this drop me an e-mail, I only check it once a week but I will get back to you. I have a CD with the parts manuals, owners manuals and all know repair info on it I can send you for $5 postage paid if you want it.

Brad
cyclone nut in VT (4 and counting)
xj700X@netzero.com

Quick Reply: Polaris Cyclone...??? before I buy