Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another flat pack question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another flat pack question.

I want to add a large Kolpin flat pack to the 800. I want to keep the easy access to my front storage and I have the large lock & ride box on the rear (see pics). I am thinking about trying the two L-shaped mounting brackets on the rear. Do any of you fellars know if I will still be able to get to the latches for the rear box with the flat pack mounted? I tried a search and saw a few pics, but none with this exact set-up. Thanks in advance, Rick.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

I don't own the kolpin flat pack, but I don't think there would be a problem, seeing that you would only need a couple of inches of clearance between the pack and the box to easily access the latches and unhook them.

Now the question is, can you install the supports with the box placed in?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

I travel a lot with the Flat -paks and tried to mount to the rear of the lock and ride box but it would not mount on there in the center so i then tried to mount to top of box ......it will mount on top but i did not want that kinda of weight on top of box ,,,I thought it would put pressure on lid ...Anyway i use 2 flat paks together and i mount them on the lid up front a few things you can mount the brackets to the front lid and be fine or just use the supplied velcro strips and mount to holes in rails on lid and just stack 2 paks thats what i did and it perfect and does not move ohh i would put a small sheet of 3/3 --1/2 foam under the paks this way no movement and no rubbing ...

Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Polariswacko, good point, I am going to go to the dealer's today and try to study this problem. That is, if he has all of the parts to try it.

Skilz, do you know if the flat packs will fit on the front rack if you have the rack extender?

Thanks guys.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Went to the dealer's, he didn't have any flat pack items at all. The rear mount won't work. If anyone knows if the flat pack will fit up front with the rack extender, let me know, I would appreicate the assist on this one.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yes it will fit with the rack extender. One caution is that some of the front lid latches will come unlatched with the extra weight of the fuel pack and bounce open on a hard bump. Just a look out for you.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Lawdog, apparently you CAN have both the kolpin flat pack's brackets AND the Lock and Ride box installed at the same time...
Check out THIS post.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

It's true you can put the Large flatpak Kolpin on the back with two L brackets. I did mine. you need to notch the brackets so the locator pins in the rear box still go in and place the brackets on the pak and you will see they will just fit inside the rack extender braces. You can locate it front to rear to give enough clearance for the latches and I drilled through the rear rack frame and bolted it in. You can do it with a little effort.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

xler8ion, do you have any pics? I dont have any components to work with and hate to spend the coin on them ahead of time, not knowing if they will work. Thanks.

Polariswacko, thanks for the link. I will keep studying it.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Lawdog,

I don't have any right now but will take some and post early next week when I return from ideehooo. I'm picking up my Dragon. Come on it's just one more toy. Have not posted pics before. Might neeed direction. I also want to post the picks from the Polaris oil filter disassembly I did recently.