Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

X2 Feedback ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2 Feedback

Hi All,

I have done aa bunch of searches on the X2 all the way back to the 330ATP. But I would like to hear more.

I am about ready to go with the 800 X2 Deluxe.

1. Has anyone tried the Glacier 2 Plow? How does it compare to the G1?

2. How about the Prospector 2 Track system? Can you angle the plow with the tracks on?

3. Problems or grief that you have encountered?

4. Ride Quality?

5. Handling it the woods?

6. Would you buy it again?

I will be using this machine primarily as a utility quad. Pulling wood, plowing snow, yard work. Some trail riding solo. And finall a limited amount of 2 up riding.

I don't need to be the first one there, but I do want to get there.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default X2 Feedback ?

Hi Lostviking, oofda! Haven't tried the Glacier 2 or the track setup. No problems or grief to speak of. I have about 51 hours and 260 miles of trouble-free riding. Ride quality is top notch. It is stiffer in the rear than a regular Sportsman (read: no real sag when blasting off). Woods are great, rocks no problem (a little less clearance because of length), mud is fun, too. I would buy it again in a heartbeat (500 or 800). I made a wood box to add on to the rear dump box. I can carry about a 2 foot high stack of wood and pull a 3x5x1 foot trailer heaped with wood without any problems. I've had my 13 year old son on long rides, a friend's 15 year old daughter on long rides, and my wife on short rides. No one complained. My dealer also sells Can-Ams and the seat is a little more comfy, but you can't take it with you when you want to use the rear rack unless you strap it on top of everything. I like being able to flip it up when needed and stow it when not. My opinion is best 2 seater all around.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default X2 Feedback ?

I have a X2 800. I think its a great machine so far. It has more power than I expected, it will ride a wheelie with or without a passenger. It also handles great for a 2 up ATV. If you plan on doing alot of work with it you should be happy because the X2 has realy low lowrange and a low reverse. I had mine out in the snow and the AWD and the ADC worked perfect! I also like the turf mode for the long road rides. But the best feature is all the storage!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Range Rover
Default X2 Feedback ?

The X2 is a far superior utility machine when compared to the standard Sportsman.

It has disc brakes on all four wheels and an improved rear suspension to handle the 490 pound load capacity.

Surprisingly, the ride on the X2 is as good or better then any other Sportsman I have owned or driven. With the increased load capacity, I was expecting the rear suspension to be a little stiff. But with either a single or double rider, the X2 suspension manages to deliver a smooth ride even over rough terrain.

The X2 "Turf Mode" allows the rear wheels to operate at different speeds for maneuverability and better control and steering on grass and pavement. I miss it when I drive my standard Sportsman.

The passenger seat is ok for short impromptu rides, but lacks the comfort and rear storage required to take a passenger for a day's outing. If you want to carry a passenger for extended periods an aftermarket seat/cargo box combination will make it more comfortable. You can view my passenger seat at:
"http://www.polarisriders.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=76&topid=577&thrid=3 2912". The box can be removed in just a few minutes.

A major flaw with the X2 is the lack of a mount for a bumper. This is probably due to the tilting capability of the box. Being able to "dump" a load of cargo has limited use for me, and in my opinion is not the worth the loss of the bumper. I now have a bumper installed, but I remain a little irritated with Polaris for this design anomoly.

I have owned several ATVs; the X2 is by far the best I've used for either pleasure or work.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default X2 Feedback ?

Ebel,
Thanks for the great reply. I have been looking at the x2 for a little while not for the ol lady and I. I like your idea with the box in the back. For a couple hundred dollars you can get the nice padded plastic storage box to fit in the back area. My wife and I are hoping to head out to Utah this summer/fall and this unit will come in very handy. Still not sure if I should get the limited ed or not. Don't really think I need the ADC. I hear you about the rear bumper issue. I wouldn't be using the rear dump box either. Just want the 2 seat mode.

Greg

Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default X2 Feedback ?

Gentleman, Thanks for your responses.

Ebel, Yes, as I will be using it for mostly utility work, it appears to be very well suited the those types of tasks. Turf mode is a major factor in my decision process.

I guess I will be a test case for the tracks. Feedback on these is still welcome.

I had a Glacier 1 Plow frame with the V-Plow on my 700 and was very pleased with it. I was able to spread 30 tons of item 4 in a large parking lot for my business with ease. Plowed snow great, and in the v position was able to bust through the windrows left from the town plows. I was hoping for some feedback on the G2 as it looks a little cheaper in build quality. So I think I'll stick with the G1.

Moose, Yes I see a wood box extension in my X2s future also. I'm thinking with a chainsaw bar slot and Gas and oil holder as well.

Again thanks for the responses,

Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default X2 Feedback ?

Lostviking, the holes in the top of the dump box are 1" holes. I took a couple 2x8s and drilled 1" holes in them with a drill press for accuracy. I installed a 1" dowel in each end of the 2x8s where they would match the holes on the dump box. A 1" dowel is VERY tight. I recommend sanding them down a little bit. I also added a piece of 3/4" plywood to the front, over the seat. Just use the seat to trace on the plywood and cut with a jigsaw. I mad the back piece of plywood to act like a dump gate with a piece of aluminum that holds it closed by making contact with the tailgate of the x2. You can tie the whole thing down with velcro straps or get a big fender washer and use a screw into the dowels from the underside of the dump box in the front holes. The back is covered by the taillights from below.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default X2 Feedback ?

Lostviking

I did a lot of research a year ago on tracks and I would NOT buy the Polaris tracks. The Pol tracks are snow only and that's not good enough compared to what's being offered by other makers.

There is a lot of research going into improving track systems like:

-the angle of approach (which improves steering and ease of going over larger objects)

-larger rollers

-rubber tread height

-track systems for BOTH snow and mud. The newer style does not rely on snow as a lubricant therefore your FUN factor is expanded being able to use them in any terrain.

Older track systems were sensitive. You needed ideal conditions or you would wear things out. And that's not fun imo. And that's the way the Pol tracks are imo. They are out-dated and non-competitive to what's out there.

And no, you can't plow with them on unless you kept the blade straight and what sence does that make?

When you are ready to drop $4K on tracks, be sure to get your $$ worth!

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default X2 Feedback ?

Boy was this a worthwhile post.

Moose, Love the dowel idea, will give that some serious thought. A picture would be great if you have one.

Ebel, Thanks for the link to the other website. Never heard of that one before. Great info there as well.

Mt, I am kind of OK with the snow only track idea. I don't encounter that much mud where I am, so tires work well. I think I can overcome the plow angle problem with a little creative fabrication. We shall see.

Again, thanks for all the info, keep it coming.

P.S. The best part is no really negative issues yet. I bought my 700 in the face of some stiff criticisim, and it was a great machine. imho.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default X2 Feedback ?

Originally posted by: Lostviking
Boy was this a worthwhile post.

Moose, Love the dowel idea, will give that some serious thought. A picture would be great if you have one.

Ebel, Thanks for the link to the other website. Never heard of that one before. Great info there as well.

Mt, I am kind of OK with the snow only track idea. I don't encounter that much mud where I am, so tires work well. I think I can overcome the plow angle problem with a little creative fabrication. We shall see.

Again, thanks for all the info, keep it coming.

P.S. The best part is no really negative issues yet. I bought my 700 in the face of some stiff criticisim, and it was a great machine. imho.

My local dealer has a brand new set that he can't sell so if you want a set of Pol tracks I am quite sure that he will sell them to you at cost.
~MT

Quick Reply: X2 Feedback ?