Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!

oh i would for sure buy the cheapest you can find for the first couple of changes.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 sportsman 500, sank in mud hole, hydo locked eng, winched it out, pulled spark plug manualy bared over eng. drained eng oil, gear box,belt drive, hub, diffs, exhaust, air box, raid system, fuel tank, and evently the brake fluid. flushed hubs and diffs with polaris fluids, but gear box and eng i used trans fluid, don[t quote me on this but apparently trans fluid is more suseptable to water absorbtion and is a whole heck of a lot cheeper(know for sure). this is what i was told, i did it and she runs just fine. the trans fluid is thinner so it'll smoke a bit when u run it, get it to operating temp, iddle or just above, no load then imediatly drain. i flushed eng 4 times and trans 2. and every thing else once. my .02cents

keep us posted

bowz

Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i lost my king in about 6 feet of water befor, completly under water, it was down there for about 15 min

we pulled it out pulled i tot he nearest dry feild, i fliped it on its side let the water run out of the motor and air box, waited a lil wile and it started up lol so i drove it home and changed the a cupple times.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Bowz, transmission fluid has a detergent additives so it works well for cleaning.

Pieps57, I would suggest dropping all fluids and flushing ASAP. Steel surfaces will begin to rust if you leave it for a few days. Dry switches with compressed air to prevent corrosion.

I seen to have a habit of finding a river that is too deep every year. My sportsman has been sunk more times than some people ride and she still runs.

When I worked for Yamaha I had a Kodiak come in that was under water for a day. The biggest problem we had was getting the water out of the foam on the seat.

If nothings froze and cracked, you'll still get good service out of the machine.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

As posted do not wait a couple days, get ALL the fluids drained fast. If you let it sit all the machined surfaces are going to rust fast. Get some electircal parts cleaning spray and start cleaning switches and conectors.
If it was mine I would strip it down and clean and dry everything.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flushing the motor with Kerosene will help dramaticly, don't start it with the kero in it. Disconnect and remove the battery and pull it in gear to splash the Kero everywhere. Do it a couple times. Then fill with oil and run it for a few minutes and change the oil again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Catterman Swamped his full of water and he was able to completely remove it when we told him about the Kero. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forums pieps57. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow guys thank u so much for allt he feedback

a few things

i got everything drained out and letting it sit in the nice warm garage...i do not have a pull start on mine its only thru the key but i will do the kerosine thing and look into the other things....

MY NEXT QUESTION:

i need to know what kind of oils i need and filters and i dotn want to go to a polaris dealer til my finall changes
so i need to know if i can go to a wal mart or any other stores to get the oiles i need adn filters for cheeper i have no clue what to get.

engine?
differentials?
transmission?
fileters?
is there a trans. filter????

thanks again guys

Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM

u should be able to got to walmart adn pick up the oil,gas, adn other filters u need i my self are not sure if there is a trans.. filter

Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

a buddy of mine sunk his 04 honda forman as i water wheelied past him,lol.. he got him to dry ground and took his plug out, it seemed like it shot a gallon of water out.. pulled the air filter , and after a bout a hr of craking on it( that honda had a HELL OF A BATTERY... it started and ran fine... i pulled it a bout 7-8 miles home (smoked my belt) and changed to oil (milk) the next day.... still runs like clock work DAM HONDA.. OFFICAL HONDA RECOVERY TEAM..... i dont let him forget either lol... i know.i know my turns comeing.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 PM

funny thing is mi mom has a kawi 360 4x4 and i took it into this hole made it almost out i was gettin ready to turn up the bank and the front end cought and she didnt move....so as i was gettin the winch pulled out (free spool) the thing shut off one of mi friends was hooking the winch up to a tree and it wasnt close enough so he hooked it to mi trusty trailblazer nad pulle it out and after we got the water out adn got it running i went and took mi trailblazer thro the same hole and same route and made it with no problem

Quick Reply: PLEASE help! sank my atv!!!