Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!

Okay... I decided to request your help for my first post!!

I bought a 2003 Polaris Trail Blazer today from a buddy. Needed something to play with and something the girlfriend can learn on. I have searched the web up and down and can not find a whole lot or resources for these quads. My dilemma is simple... The quad will start and run just fine. However, it must be pull started! Once started it does not die or do anything out of the ordinary. However, it just has no electrical. The lights dont work and the e-start does nothing. Is this a common issue? Where is a good place to start looking?? Again, I am new to quads (this is the first one I have ever owned, always been a bike guy)... so any and all help would be great!

Thanks a ton,
Turtle

Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by: YZGUYONE25
Okay... I decided to request your help for my first post!!

I bought a 2003 Polaris Trail Blazer today from a buddy. Needed something to play with and something the girlfriend can learn on. I have searched the web up and down and can not find a whole lot or resources for these quads. My dilemma is simple... The quad will start and run just fine. However, it must be pull started! Once started it does not die or do anything out of the ordinary. However, it just has no electrical. The lights dont work and the e-start does nothing. Is this a common issue? Where is a good place to start looking?? Again, I am new to quads (this is the first one I have ever owned, always been a bike guy)... so any and all help would be great!

Thanks a ton,
Turtle
okie i know with the tbs the elecric will still run even with out the batt. in but mi guess is that maybe the altnator isnt charging the system...or that there isnt a good altnator on there or maybe even something as simple at theres something unpluged like a fuse or some thing pull the yellow pice of plastic where the oil cap is and make sure there isnt anything unpluged i know there should be some or a few wires that wont be pluged in but u can atleast loook in some of the places there but mi guess is that there is something that came up pluged or a fuse blew.........just mi .2.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first thing is to make sure your batt. is fully charged, then start tracing the power wiresto the soloinde to make sure power is getting thru to the starter. will the bike shut off w/ the key switch?make sure the connections are all good to the switches as well.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

Start at the battery and follow the big red wire to a post on the solenoid, from that post follow the small wire. Within about one foot you should fine a plug splice, pull the plug apart and clean it, if it falls apart like mine did you found the problem.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay... just got a new battery in the voltmeter so I could start checking things out. Unfortunately I am limited as far as what I can do, thanks to a broken collarbone. So... I started simple... I checked the battery... With the quad off the battery only has approx. 3.5volts. Would this mean the battery could very well be the problem? Shouldn't the battery be holding quite a bit more?? Any help before I spend the time and money to go buy a new battery would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Turtle!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

so you tested the battery w/ a volt meter on DC and it reads only 3.5 volts? it should be at least 12 or better volts. w/ it running maybe up to 14 volts. what i would do first if it only has that voltage is charge the battery up w/ a battery charger while the battery is unhooked from the bike and once it has a full charge ( make sure if its awet battery its full of water,distilled or acid even better before charging) let it set overnight at least and see if it holds its charge. this way you can tell if the battery is junk or not. if it does hold it let us know and will advise further.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Welp... I am impatient and did not want to charge the battery... A new one was only $20... So I put the new battery in and... Still nothin! Gonna trace wires and remove body panels tomrrow!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

did you check the voltage on the new battery? did you check to make sure the lights werent blown(this sometimes happens when there isnt enougn voltage in the battery). make sure the connections are tight at the battery, to the solniode, to the starter. check w/ your tester to see if power is going thru the sloniode when you push the start button. then see when button is pushed if starter it self is being powered.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Dont quote me on this but I think there is a relay directly in front of the battery, it will be in a little black pillow looking thing. If it has one it will control power via the battery. Something to ck out.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by: jta4455
Dont quote me on this but I think there is a relay directly in front of the battery, it will be in a little black pillow looking thing. If it has one it will control power via the battery. Something to ck out.

i think what he is talking about (im not sure mi slef) i think he is talking about the sylnoid that the positive and negitive termanles go to dont quote me on that one ither

Quick Reply: Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!