Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is the predator? thinking outloud

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the predator? thinking outloud

Is it supposed to be a trail machine? then why is it so wide?
Is it supposed to be an mx machine? why is it so heavy?

I think Polaris should make the predator better to make it better for mx Since they already have the outlaw for trails.

I think the predator should be made to be a reasonable alternative to a 450

I dont care if it will be a 550, 574, 525, or 580. As long as it is lighter but still "big and bulky" as some say, so that bigger riders who feel cramped on a 450 can drive a quad that will still have a really good chance of keeping up to the 450 if rider skill allows

I want a predator that is in the same weight range as the 400cc quads, but maintains a power-weight ratio that is equal or superior to the 450s
A predator that handles good like a 250r or lt-r450 would be really nice too,

just my $.02

Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have you ridden one yet? I'm sorry, but my pred handles just as well as any yfz or trx450r......and I've heard many say that new ltz isn't all that impressive either.

The pred has much more torque than these other quads too. Its all just learning how to race/run with how the pred handles and runs.

Also, there are a few riders around here, that are keeping up with the 450's on the mx track, just fine. They aren't stock preds either though.......

A lot of the pred weight, can be taken away too(tires, plastic, lights, heel guards, etc). The pred is built much heavier "duty" that the others. We have a much stronger front end, and also much better parts. The axle and swing arm that we have are very nice(in comparison). The engine is the only downfall.....it is heavy. Not much way around that, other than implanting a ktm.

If you don't like the weight....and the work to compete(when the rest are already better)......then don't get a pred. I like the fact that many think it can't be done......and I get to see that look on their face, when going by them.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

I guess you would call it a "sport quad".
I wouldn't call it a race quad by any means, but I wouldn't call it a trail quad either.
I would say it is an all around kinda machine. It isn't the best at anything, but it is pretty good at everything.
I am not bashing the predator. I had one and my buddy has an 05 troy lee edition and I think it is a great quad.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Have you ridden one yet? I'm sorry, but my pred handles just as well as any yfz or trx450r......and I've heard many say that new ltz isn't all that impressive either.

The pred has much more torque than these other quads too. Its all just learning how to race/run with how the pred handles and runs.

Also, there are a few riders around here, that are keeping up with the 450's on the mx track, just fine. They aren't stock preds either though.......

A lot of the pred weight, can be taken away too(tires, plastic, lights, heel guards, etc). The pred is built much heavier "duty" that the others. We have a much stronger front end, and also much better parts. The axle and swing arm that we have are very nice(in comparison). The engine is the only downfall.....it is heavy. Not much way around that, other than implanting a ktm.

If you don't like the weight....and the work to compete(when the rest are already better)......then don't get a pred. I like the fact that many think it can't be done......and I get to see that look on their face, when going by them.

no i've never even touched one.

but how much weight can be lost? 20lbs? thats not really enough.

i always thought the ltr and yfz were good handling quads cuz thats what everyone said, but hey, you own one so you must know what ur talking about

Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its a fact.......the pred will probably need much more work(both engine and chasis mods).......and will also probably need a better rider too......Its just if you are up to it.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Its a fact.......the pred will probably need much more work(both engine and chasis mods).......and will also probably need a better rider too......Its just if you are up to it.
how did you lighten your predator by 30 lbs, thats quite a bit.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They seem to do well for XC, HS, dunes, Baja etc.......

Fact is they are made for everything except MX, so you should have just asked "what is the Predator NOT good for?"

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Why does the preddy suck at mx? Is it a scary/unstable flyer, or is it just to heavy? I wouldnt care about not keeping up to 450s on the track, i just want to be safe and comfortable, thats why big shocks would be nice

Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

ive got an 05 predator and i love it. I have 2 friends with Z400's and they cant stand a chance agaisnt me. Both are piped and jetted one even has cams in a drag race the predator just pulls and pulls. Handling wise, the pred is kinda of twitchy, just gotta get used to it. I havent raced on a mx track with them but im sure that i could hang pretty easy. For what you get price wise compared to a Z400, i think the predator makes up for it. Sure its heavy, but in stock form it still runs. Mine is piped and jetted and has Rath Racing white brothers filter kit. IT just rips. I've gone to the badlands in attica, indiana, and i fear no hill beyond my skill with this machine. You (crazy1291) ride a DS250, any quad you ride bigger than yours is going to be ungodly different i imagine. Like ss97 said, its what the predator cannot do. ITs a very versatile machine. And i think thats what polaris wanted. Want a smoother ride ? i guess go get an outlaw. I havent ridden one yet but im sure they are amazing. The only real downside is that there is not much of an aftermarket for these machines and that sucks. I took the chance and just went out and bought one and i love it. I ride my buddies Z400 and it feels tiny compared to the pred. Im not that big either ( 5'10" 185) and im comfy on this machine. Its just a matter of riding it. Ive ridden 450's and to me are too twitchy on power, the pred is smooooth and just pulls all day. Its your own personal opinion i guess, just go out and ride whatever machines you can and make your own decision before making any assumptions. Just stick with your DS250 for now i guess.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I explained how I dropped the weight.........you just have to look for places.

Check out the pictures of preds on this page www.nicholascycle.com

The pred CAN and IS competitive is mx.......so don't say its not. Maybe not that the pro level.....but its still right there too