Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4X4 Stayed Turned On

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 Stayed Turned On

Hi Gang,
I have a problem with my 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO. My 4 wheel drive is always on even with the switch off, not engaged, just activated.
When I back up the right hub locks in everytime no matter what, makes it hard to go striaght back. I checked the switch and all seems fine.
What could be the cause?

Thanks,
John

Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 PM

theres a plastic cage inside the front diff...(i think) not sure if this is the year they started putting the plastic cages in them....i know from reading on here they use to be or still are alumianm (sorr for the spelling).......and if its plastic its probley been chewed up....correct me if im wrong anybody....sten....cappier

Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually that has the old front end set up w/ no cage in it. i beleave it has to do w/ the hubs directly causing the problem. do a search and you'll find dozens of post onit.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should have the two out board hubs on yours not the plastic roller cage in the diff. I am guesing that 1 is rusted in the locked position. This happened to mine only it was the opposite and I only had power going to three wheels. One hub would not lock in. You might check and see if you need to add hub fluid if you do that might free it up. If that don't work you could try taking it apart and cleaning it. Or you could repace the hub but I think they are in the neighborhood of $350.00. It could be dangerous if you are going fast and that wheel kick into drive I've heard of it pulling the bars out of peoples hands. I'm not trying to scare you from driving it you will probably be ok to drive it the way it is just something to look out for.

Hope this helps

Jake

Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by: stendori
actually that has the old front end set up w/ no cage in it. i beleave it has to do w/ the hubs directly causing the problem. do a search and you'll find dozens of post onit.
yea sten i wasnt sure i did read some of the post put up about thr awd a week ago or so and i know they talked about the cages in the newer ones i just wasnt sure when they changed them over

Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I was more interested in fixing "I have a problem with my 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO. My 4 wheel drive is always on even with the switch off, not engaged, just activated." or is the locking when in reverse the cause? The locking in reverse I can deal with that, it I mess with it for long enought it will disengage. I would just like to get the 4X4 off.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 PM

well if u got the cash find the bad hub and replace it or like JP said see if u need hub fluid that may loosen it befor it is to far gone.......

Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Replace you hub fluids and see it that helps. Our 97 had would stay in AWD some times and when we changed the Fluids it worked normal again.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM

its funni how haveing bad fluid in them will make the bikes act like this

Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

If I cut the power to the 4x4 system everything works as it should, the hub unlocks, but no 4x4 of course, which is what I want. The hub locking has been a problem from time to time, but no big deal (I think).
I'm trying to shut the system off so that I can have just 2wd but the system stays in 4wd all the time. I checked the on/off switch and it seems ok, I'm pretty sure the override works because it is working as it should. My 4 wheel drive is always on even with the switch off, not engaged, just activated. How can I fix this? I want to be able to had 2wd and 4wd.

Quick Reply: 4X4 Stayed Turned On