Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Common Problem... 4wheel drive issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Problem... 4wheel drive issues

Just my two cents.... I had a similar problem with my 06 sportsman, it kept locking in and out of 4wd. What I did, while backing up at a fairly brisk pace with the reverse override button pushed in so you can get her going pretty good, turn the handle bars back and forth as fast as you can without wrecking ( jig jag ) in reverse. It's safer to do it on dirt than pavement, less chance of rolling over. By doing that several times, I haven't had the problem since, and the 4wd works fine now. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but it's worth a try.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by: PineDog
Just my two cents.... I had a similar problem with my 06 sportsman, it kept locking in and out of 4wd. What I did, while backing up at a fairly brisk pace with the reverse override button pushed in so you can get her going pretty good, turn the handle bars back and forth as fast as you can without wrecking ( jig jag ) in reverse. It's safer to do it on dirt than pavement, less chance of rolling over. By doing that several times, I haven't had the problem since, and the 4wd works fine now. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but it's worth a try.
sounds like if u was going to fast and turn the wheel TOO QUICK u could flipe her and then that wouldnt be good i have brought mi tb right up on its side wheels and was like WOW thats scarry

Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

When you put the ATV in reverse (without holding the yellow override button) does it show the AWD being on? If so, then it's for sure electrical. If not, you either have a short somewhere constantly allowing power to the magnet in the clutch, or you have the mechanical failure others are talking about. My guess is it's the clutch as others have said. Take it apart yourself, can't be that hard.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

taking the front diff out is fairly simple, no special tools needed. just watch out for the radiator when you start to turn the diff sideways to get it out of frame.the hardest part is probably separating the lower ball joint from A frame and pulling the axle shafts out of differential. Good luck "ITSTILLRUNS"

Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE:

I found the Coil plug and test the ohm as the service manual suggested with a reading of 26ohms. The voltage was 11.36volts....So It appears to be in the differental as I suspected. Now this is an interesting bit of news, I called the dealer and explained my issue and how its only 2 months out of warranty.. He said.."There is no way I could have caused this part to break short of smashing into a tree (well we all know thats not true but...), so he said bring it in.. Ill call Polaris Tech line and most likely get it covered under warranty. But here is my gamble....: I take it in... they take the differental apart and find the problem.. they call polaris and they say..Yeah we will cover it and I pay nothing.. OR I take it.. they take it apart and they polaris says No we wont cover it, it which case Ill have NO choice but to pay for the part and the labor ($350).... Just dont know what to do yet.

Oh and When I put it in reverse the AWD light doesnt not come on unless i press the override button (However its still locked in AWD so...)

One more thing.. I put it on an ATV lift and noticed that there was a significant difference in the front wheels pulling while AWD is activated, vs. while it is not activated.. seems to have more torque in AWD than when i cut if off..however all wheels still spin when AWD is deactivated.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

drive it hard and hope for big breakage!!!!! Polaris covered my first "cage "220$ and my first front differential 900$ at about the same time out of warranty. I would talk to your dealer and tell him that this isnt an uncommon problem, see what kind of deal you can come to if it isnt the "cage " (but it is) . have them call G&G motorsports in Muskego WI if they think this is a odd problem! It takes me about 1 1/2 hrs to get the thing apart .2 hrs back in.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tell them if their not going to cover it, not to touch it. chances are they should be able to find out from polaris if they will cover it or not b4 they take it apart. if he thinks they will warranty it if the cage is gone why wouldnt they warranty something esle (that wasnt done by you)that let go in the front end. either way you cant keep driving it the way it is.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Man, a lot of Polaris have A LOT of AWD problems. Should have stayed with the aluminum cage right stendori? haha

Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hope they cover it Va700EFI, and am confused with all of this. I have had no issues with 3 Sportsmans. Not a lot of miles, but rough terrain, working them well. Had my 04 front grab when I would do doughnuts at high speed in 2WD. That's it. 99 was perfect, as is my current low- miler. Again, hope they (dealer) take the hit for you on this. And itstillruns, 7 of them? On an 04?? What does your dealer say? Abuse? Just a bad one? Either way, something is not right, should stay together better than that.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 99' has the older design. i too have had 4 of the sportsman w/out any problems as thus far that i didnt do my self. i dont actually baby them.

Quick Reply: Common Problem... 4wheel drive issues