Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Magnum Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Magnum Question

I got a used 1995 Polaris 425 magnum 2x4 . It runs good up to about 25mph and after that it seems to just lose power like something is trying to bog down. Im thinking this ATV should go faster than 25mph. I do know that it has a exhaust leak but i dont know if that may be whats causing it or not . it does seem like when i get it up to 25 or so that it tries to backfire. Any ideas ??

Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could be either carb, or clutches that make it bog. i would change fuel filter, clean carb, and check belt and clutches. chances are it could use a good service if it hasnt had one in a long time. if it does back fire then it usally means a lean condtion (lack of fuel). check or replace plug while your at it.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix the exhaust leak and be sure the muffler isnt stopped up.THese old muffler rot out on the inside and will cause what you discribed.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

does it do this in neutral too??

Old 03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

seems to have all it power in nuetral and after reving it all the way up backfires when letting off the throttle. Its just when i get up to about 30mph it just seems to bog down and wanting to backfire at 30mph. Should this atv go any faster than this or should that be its top speed ?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

that speed could be about right for that age of bike,but it shouldnt backfire, i would pull the plug and see if it is running rich or lean and maybe adjust carb accordingly, this might provide with a little more top end throttle

im not familier with that carb,but im sure someone out here is

make sure exhaust is not blocked(it could cause that too)

Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well, last night I had my 95 425 Magnum 4x4 loaded down with approximately 500 pounds of rider and cargo and had it doing 45 and had throttle left. I've had probably 800 or more on the ATV itself with bags sacks on the racks and towed a heavy trailer and got it up into the 30s with no problem. That 425 has some grunt. Sure impresses me.

I'd say there is something wrong with twiztidatvrider's machine somewhere.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

seems to me like it should go about 50 55 mph if its back fireing could it be a messed up jet????

Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

ok i just took it out for a run on pavement ..... with the throttle at 3/4 it was doing 45mph . At this speed is when i could hear it trying to backfire from out of the exhaust leak. The leak is where the front 2 pipes connect with the springs and there is a seal that goes there. Im thinking the reason it leaks is because the seal needs to be replaced so i have a new one ordered. But with throttle at 3/4 it never did gain anymore speed past the 3/4 mark. Is it possible that that leak is what is making me lose the power ?? By the way guys i really do appreciate all of your replies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

oh also i have a new spark plug ordered for the atv . does anyone know what to set the gap at for it???

Quick Reply: Polaris Magnum Question