Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hawkeye lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye lights

how are the lights on the hawkeye,are they very bright,and do they have low and high;;; I'm thinking about buying one, how about not having a low gear is that going to be a problem because where i ride there's lots of steep hills,any info would be appriciated.wayout,out...................

Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default hawkeye lights

i would want to go and try it out first. my wife said there really under powered. just a thought.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

Originally posted by: stendori
i would want to go and try it out first. my wife said there really under powered. just a thought.
wayout here,whats under powered,the lights or the motor??? wayout,out................

Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

There are no high-beam lights. I dont' ride at night, but from just moving it around the yard they seem ... Ok-ish.... about like the headlight on my ol 85 Honda Magna... not as good as a car, but probably right in there with most stuff in the motorsports industry.

Low range - this thing doesn't need low range. The transmission is a different design then what they've historically used on Sportsmans and such. It'll climb anything.

Underpowered? Well, it's not a wheellie machine. It will do 48 MPH .. and climb like a monkey... carrying ME - and I weigh 320.

Yes, someone ELSE on the trail may pull away from you at times.

Plenty of Hawkeye riders here have talked about their Hawks climbing as well as larger machines they're ridden with, about top speed, and about the transmission design/function. Search back a few weeks.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

What Xaveri said.

Also, I've ridden mine at night many times and the lights are just fine without a high beam. Your only option is to turn them on and off.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default hawkeye lights

thers 2 30 watt lights the site says theres high beems. i meant the engine was under powered but geared fairly low. a test ride is the only way you will know.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

The clutch setup on the Hawkeye is such that Low range is not needed. The tight belt setup is FAR superioir to the Sportsman clutch setup and I have both bikes. I have a heelclicker setup in my sportsman and it is better than stock clutching, but for me it can't touch the setup on the Hawkeye.

A sportsman with the tight belt setup with a Low and High range transmission would be the PERFECT BIKE.

BUT LOW IS NOT NEEDED ON THE HAWKEYE.

I have 25" mudlites on mine and it will get close to 50 MPH, it takes a while to get there though. Most of my riding is done at slower speeds anyway and that is where the Hawk shines.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default hawkeye lights

Originally posted by: TennesseeTider
The clutch setup on the Hawkeye is such that Low range is not needed. The tight belt setup is FAR superioir to the Sportsman clutch setup and I have both bikes. I have a heelclicker setup in my sportsman and it is better than stock clutching, but for me it can't touch the setup on the Hawkeye.

A sportsman with the tight belt setup with a Low and High range transmission would be the PERFECT BIKE.

BUT LOW IS NOT NEEDED ON THE HAWKEYE.

I have 25" mudlites on mine and it will get close to 50 MPH, it takes a while to get there though. Most of my riding is done at slower speeds anyway and that is where the Hawk shines.
correct me in im wrong, but iot looks to me the hawkeye has a totally differnt set up as a sportsman. it looks to me thatit has a sort of 2 stage style clutch set up(meaning 2 differnt ones) has anyone had one apart yet. just wondering.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

The Hawkeye has more than enough power to haul me up anything I want to up and over. The headlights IMO seem plenty bright enough for speeds any sane person would be going at night.

As far as speed, the Hawkeye isn't a sport quad anyway. Mine is still "new" so I haven't ran it flat out yet, but I have seen 45mph.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye lights

Stendori, you are correct.

The Belt is always engaged between the drive and driven clutches on the Hawkeye unlike the sportsman setup which requires some increase in rpm to pinch the belt with the sheaves of the drive clutch. There is always a minute bit of slippage at initial belt grab with the sporsman type setup.

The hawkeye uses a "starting" clutch setup attached to the crankshaft that uses springs to pull in clutch friction pads, when the engine rpm increases slightly over idle, the centrifugal force overcomes the spring tension and the clutch pads swing out and "lock" the crankshaft to the outputshaft that the drive clutch is mounted on. Talk about instant engagement and NO LAG!

Similar to Arctic Cats Duramatic and Yamaha's Ultramatic.

Quick Reply: hawkeye lights