Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Worn Tie Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
JKW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn Tie Rod Ends

My 02 SP 500 has a shimmy at higher speeds, on hard pack, and is getting worse. While I was greasing it I checked the rod ends for play. 25 years in auto repair business, on a car they'd be junk, and fail inspection. Never checked them before, am I correct assuming they should have little or no play? With 430 mi / 133 hrs this seems premature failure, and about 130 of the 403 miles where put on ice fishing, riding on a frozen lake would be easy miles! I haven't shopped around but, $30.00 a wack, all 4 are sloppy, seems a little steep! Thanks
Gona take it out Sunday and whip on it anyway!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you sure its not your tires causing the vibration/shimmy. the older style trail blazers were famous for junk tie rod ends and i think you had to replace the whole end and arm. big $$$

Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just replaced mine on my daughters TB. I bought some from graingers ( Heim Joints w/ 1/2x20 threads using my wifes buisness account at 7 bucks each. They should be similar to a car.... Smooth movement w/ no free play.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

I think I put 2 complete sets on my old Scrambler in 3 years. But they were hard 3 years. Probably comparable to 10 years on some other peoples bikes. LOL

Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

I eat thorugh Tie Rod Ends on my machine so fast (02 Scrambler). I find that I go through Tie ORd ends and steering column bushings evey 1-2 years. With your machine being an 02 it is probably time for replacing. When you you replace make sure that your wheels are properly aligned or you will pre-matuelry wear through them .

Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Potent
I just replaced mine on my daughters TB. I bought some from graingers ( Heim Joints w/ 1/2x20 threads using my wifes buisness account at 7 bucks each. They should be similar to a car.... Smooth movement w/ no free play.
Potent, That's one thing I had in mind. Do yours have rubber boots over them? Thanks

Do the stock rod ends have play new? This is my first ATV. When I was putting the front lift in, think I remember the Rt side inner had a little play. That one is really loose now, and the others have play too.

Lastly, a couple of people are selling replacements on Ebay. Has anyone tried them? They look like OE and have the sealing boots, one guy claims his are stronger, don't know if that means more durable?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

Potent, If I read the remainder of your reply it would've saved me 15 mins of 2 finger typing! Duh !! Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

when i replaced my tie rod ends a year ago(first time since new), i bought stock replacements. one thing i did after installation, was to use a grease needle, and slip it under the boot along the actual tie rod. pump it full of grease.

they have been on for over a year now, and they still are like new. no play.

another thing to check before you go and spend a buncha money, is the main steering stem bushings. they will cause alotta steering play if they go unchecked as well.

X

Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have a part number on those?
I was thinking of doing the same for mine! just was wondering where to get them. You would think with me being in heat and ac And working right next door to graingers. I would have thought about checking there.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I used grainger part number 6G175 which is the right hand threads 1/2x20 and 6G207 which are the left hand threads. You will need 2 of each. I also had to get some sleeves part number 1X871 because the inside diameter hole was 1/2" and I had to reduce them down to 3/8". I took the rubber boots off the old ones and slipped them over the new ones. It took a little effort and WD-40 but it should keep a majority of the crud out. These are much beefier than the stock ones so the should last for quite a while.

Quick Reply: Worn Tie Rod Ends