Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Fire Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Fire Hazard

With regards to Polaris's latest recall due to Electronic Control Module Failure.
I have an '04.5 Sportsman 400 that has a faulty ECM that killed the battery and it is not covered under the recall serial numbers.
Dealer says, this is not the first he has seen that has not been covered. I called Polaris and she told me, after checking with her Supervisor several times, that it would not be covered and that they leave Customer Service
( or lack of ) to the local dealer..... GREAT !
I still like the bike, but man.....Polaris better improve their Customer Relations.
Polaris, stand behind your machines !
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Your dealer should be handling all that grief . You should never have to call that number .

Rick Ritter

PS - The age of the machine doesn't help matters either - it is 2 years old .

Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that our dealers(if there any good that is) should take care of most of the problems we all have and not have to deal w/ the mfg at all. not saying they shouldnt be better realtions

Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced one in my "2006" Sportsman 450..........So they STILL have a problem here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........Caper...............My was past the 6-month ..but the dealer still covered it for me!!!!!

This one look larger........Well see how long it lasts though!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a 2004.5 sportsman 500 in the summer of 2004, July I think. First the plug wire was routed between the frame and the fuel tank. After it rubbed through from friction, well we all know the rest of the story. Seems they were doing this little MOD on the assembly line. We saw alot of others that way. That winter, 2004-2005 we were riding and the machine lost all power about 5 miles from home. Pulled it home and took it to the dealer. There was no recall out yet and this was the first case they had seen of the surepower modeul going bad. (took us awhile to troubleshoot) It had melted and smelled of fire. It was replaced and as of this day my V.I.N has not come up on those of concern/recall.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did not burn ir smell though..........Just malfunction.........Still junk and needed to be replaced ..................Caper.........

Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I'm a little late in my reply's
playing catch up after an awesome
ATV weekend, over 100 + miles on
various trails.

Anyways, would I need to demonstrate
that I have an problem with the ECM
for them to replace it? And what would
be the symptoms besides dead battery?

R'

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

as you read w/ capers, this little piece of sh@t does alot of differnt issues and acts differnt on differnt bikes, whats yours doing. maybe mine hasnt done it yet w/ only 450 miles on it.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if we are all talking about the same part for the 450 and 500 carbs, but I used to refer to it as the ECM and know the dealer calls it the "surefire moduel". For 2004.5 and 2005 its called the "controller module, single cylindar" and for 2006 its called the "surepower module kit". In the parts diagram I looked at they look the same, mount in the same place, and are the same price.

My symptoms were, it killed but I still had dash function. The other day I saw a 2006 500 that would start, but didnt have andy dash function. I also have see 500s where there is nothing. Replaced all with the module and fixed all of the problems for all of the machines.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

so trail, you think polaris is going to have a recall on the emc or what ever they want to call it. yes i do beleave we are talking about the same part that went bad on capers 450 and maybe others. i hope not my wifes though.

Quick Reply: Polaris Fire Hazard