Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 50 fuel problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a scrambler 50 for the kids this fall. It seems to run well for about 2 minutes and then dies. It will only stay running if I pump the throttle lightly, not well enough to ride but just enough to keep running. The clear fuel filter has gas in it but not much.What about fuel tank vent?

Mike

Old 12-25-2000, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mike, My son has a impuls 50 which has the same engine as your scrambler. It does the same thing when its cold out, there just too lean of a fuel mixture, so all I do is disconnect the wires to the automatic choke, there's a 2 wire connector about 8 inches from the carb. It runs a little rich and doesn't idle very well but other than that runs great when cold. He was on it yesterday about 2 1/2 hours and the tempature was about 10 degrees outside and it hasn't fouled a plug yet.
John

Old 12-25-2000, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

The local dealer here has been switching all the fuel filters to a thinner tubed version to solve this problem. Seems that those wide clear filters like to introduce air into the line thus leaning out the motor and causing the conditions you describe. Its worth a shot there only a couple of bucks. This trick has fixed most of his problems with 50's not wanting to run.

Old 12-25-2000, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

I just have a heck of a time getting my sons to run in the first place, once it is warmed up a little it is fine. I wonder if a person could rig a switch to those wires on the auto choke?

anyone else have any tricks or ideas on the 50's

BTW, sounds like I will be trying a new fuel filter too, like said, what is a couple bucks?

Thanks all

Jack

Old 12-26-2000, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ajrjer,

Thanks for the tip. Can you tell me more about the auto choke? Is it temp. activated, time delay or what. Is it strictly ALL ON or ALL OFF or is the amount of choke adjustable with the amount of voltage I send to it?

Any comments on the fuel filter posts?

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Old 12-26-2000, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

MNXPLORER,

The more I think about it the more I think I should have done exactly what you recommend. It's only a couple of bucks. Any idea what filter they have been using, just a generic fuel filter or one from another toy? Thanks much for your time and I will post my results soon.

Mike

Old 12-26-2000, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

mdorn, I'm pretty sure my dealer is just using the stock polaris fuel filter. the same one thats on the full sized quads. There white in color and about 1/2 inch in diameter.I sure hope they get all the bugs worked out of them beforre I buy one this spring for my little guy.

Old 12-26-2000, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

mdorn, I'm not sure on how the choke operates, dealer could not answer any of questions I had about it and I don't have a service manual for it. I think it just has a thermoelectric controled switch for the enrichment passage way in the carb. Last winter in wouldn't run when cold and I didn't think it was enough fuel flow either, I went as far as bypassing the fuel filter and it still didn't have any power. Just a couple of weeks ago I thought of disconnecting the power to the choke so it would be on all the time and its been running great since. He had it out yesterday again and it was zero outside, it hesitated a little for the first few minutes but after that it ran perfect.